Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which Gen3 parts fit a Gen2?

I have the opportunity to pick parts from a 93 Loyale that an acquaintance bought for parts to fix up his 88 wagon. Which parts will fit my 84 BRAT or 83 GL wagon? I'm thinking for either upgrades or spares. I have no experience whatsoever with gen3 cars, so I don't know at all what will work.

I'll start a list and edit this post to add to it as I figure parts out. I'm starting with 2 categories: "Direct Fit" and "Modification Necessary." 

Direct Fit:

• Front hubs
  • Wheels
  • Rear brake assembly as a whole. 
  • Flywheel

• Seats
  • Exhaust Y-Pipe
  • Fuel Pump
  • Fuses
  • Globes

Modification Necessary:

• Engine
  • Transmission
  • Spindle assembly minus axle and strut (have to use ea82 wheels after that since brakes are slightly bigger)

• Fuel injection system

Direct fit means it just bolts up and works. It doesn't have to be the EXACT same part, per se, but it should require no modifications. Modification Necessary means just that. Something will have to be modified for the part to work. I'll list the modification if it is simple enough, otherwise, searching and reading will be required. Obviously anything is possible with enough time, skills, and money, so I'm going to try to keep the list reasonable. Any mods that require major surgery to the chassis, or are not already well-documented on the forum will not be included.

If you think I've listed something wrongly, please let me know! I don't know much about this, which is why I asked the question in the first place. I'm just compiling it!

Edited by jmoss5723

If this list becomes comprehensive enough, maybe it should be stickied somewhere. Seems like it could be a useful tool for people trying to get parts at a junkyard or through the member classifieds, right?

I guess we'll see if it takes off first.

think I answered same question here last few days... I have an 84 ute running everything from and including radiator to rear diff

No rail cutting, just elongated the engine cross members holes to accept the EA82 engine mounts.

Made simple flat bar plates mounted to floor under seats to take the two piece tailshaft centre bearing

also modified pedal box to take EA82 cable, and finally the EA82 clutch pedal

to avoid modifying EA81 pedal box, take the EA82 pedal box, cut the back end off to add about 27mm to it to fit EA81 structure

play with acc cables etc and you are laughing :)

seats, fuel pump, fuses and globes.

Nothing else really just fits, but I also made EA82 front struts fit between EA81 front hubs and tower - gain 1/2"

Oh, EA82 y pipe exhaust will near enough bolt up, gave me another 10 kph in third of four gears

Edited by jono

I made some changes to the list. Everyone let me know what you think.

think I answered same question here last few days... I have an 84 ute running everything from and including radiator to rear diff

Jono, is all of that documented in a thread somewhere? I'd love to read through it.