Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 swap transmission question..

Having a hard time finding the transmission to go into my 86 Brat with a EJ22 swap. I found a 5spd dual range manual from a 88 GL. Will this work?

Unfortunately no shift linkage or cross member with it but I'm getting desperate as I'd like to finish this project before it starts snowing!

No matter if you use an EA82 or EJ trans, you'll have to modify the crossmember and shifter linkages anyway.

To fit the EA trans, you'll either need an adaptor plate, or transplant the internals into a dual range EJ case (which are impossible to find in North America from what I've seen on here).

I think Jerry (BratsRus) has a conversion kit for the 5 speed to go into the place of the 4. It's VERY similar, but small changes along the way. My brain is fuzzy since I haven't worked on one of this generation in a while. But the linkage may be compatible.

Do some searches on here. Been done plenty of times. All the answers will be out there. The 5 speed is a better transmission all around. 5th gear for highway. Better gas mileage. Gearing is a little lower for off road. And the synchros dont go out an lock up your trans like the 4 speeds do over time. It's a great upgrade.