Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have looked all over the site, and, i know it should be here somewhere, but, i cant seem to find any info at all on this, so, here goes. I know to swap a 2.2 into an 02 outback, you have to swap the intake, cam and crank gears, and cam and crank sensors to the 2.2, but, my question is, which 2.2's? Im looking to do the swap on an 02 outback 2.5 automatic, so, i know i need the egr engine, but, which years and cars will the 2.2 work from?

Also - FYI - there is zero advantage to a 2.2 swap in the 99-04 cars unless price/ availability is the motivating factor. In 1990-1998 the EJ22 was far more dependable than the 96-99 EJ25 DOHC. from 99-04 the EJ22 is nearly identical and no more or less reliable than the EJ25 SOHC. The EJ22 is slightly weaker and requires you to swap over to single port exhaust. If you have a good deal on an engine lined up, or a parts/donor car readily available then it's a fine swap. But don't pursue an EJ22 as better than the EJ25 because on this generation, it's a little less desirable.

• Like 1