Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help me hook my ea81 back up after engine swap

So I swapped my 1983 ea81 engine out for a weberized 1984 2wd dr. ea81 and the electrical connectors don't match up between the 84' engine and my 83' brat. I did a poor job labeling my photo, but tried to illustrate all items in question. A couple of the marks on the tape i used rubbed off too...

1. There are 3 terminal blocks from the 84' that aren't plugged in on the engine side, it looks like the only wire hooked up is the wire going to the weber carb. Can I just remove all the extra stuff from the equation? Where does that single wire need to go on my 1983 harness? There are about 12wires in that piece of the loom but maybe they're just totally un-needed? seems odd...

2. The 1983 harness has a single wire coming from the pink terminal block but the marking i put on the piece of tape rubbed off and now I don't know where it goes. Anyone?

3. I have 3 black wires going to the positive and 2 yellow wires going to the negative on my coil, I thought there should only be 2 black wires.. not too sure.

4. I have 2 hoses from the 84' engine that also had the mark I made rub off and now I don't know where they go. There is one place to hook a hose up in my engine bay but which one goes there and where does the other hose go? the hoses are coming from the intake manifold and the other from a valve mounted on the manifold

tumblr_o25oaaZ8N81to22c8o1_540.jpg

1. The car i took the engine from didn't have a charcoal canister at all, every hose that connected to it aside from one came from the air hose mess that connected to my hold Hitachi carb.

2. The one hose reaminig that used to go to the charcoal canister is a hose coming through the fire wall that is just hooked up to some type of air filter, should i route it to the charcoal canister or just leave it how the 84' had it hooked up?

tumblr_o25o2bOam91to22c8o1_540.jpg

Not pictured: I took the catalytic converter from the 84' and it has an oxygen sensor and wire but my 83' doesn't have anywhere to plug it in. I didn't think it needed it but do I need to hook it up somehow?

Thanks a ton!!!!

Swap the 83 harness back in so every thing plugs back in. As you can see your 83 harness has 1 round connector while the 84 has 2 which are different sizes that won't plug into each other.  The 84 2wd harness would of been for the feedback carb so it had a bunch of extra emissions crap which is why it has more connectors. The egr valve vacuum line goes to a port on the carb. I think the pink connector is a test connector. The coil wires are right. Just pull the o2 sensor harness off(pulls off just like a spark plug wire) it doesn't do anything since you don't have a computer for it.

I've got the Brat running and driving, but it doesn't seem to be running right. I realized there are only 2 wires coming from the engine that need to be hooked up aside from the coil wires, the wire from the carb (currently plugged into one of the terminals on the pink terminal block which seems wrong) and the oil pressure gauge which I must have done right because its working fine (I soldered and added connectors to the 83' harnesses wire of the same color). I also hooked the reddish vacuum hose up to the vacuum hose with a #4 marked on it above near the coil.