Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Subaru wave

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tbolt1003

tbolt1003

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • Media, PA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:53 PM

I know this isn't your usual question, but is "the wave" mainly given by WRX/STI drives to another WRX/STI driver? I've tried waving and/or acknowledging other Subaru drivers on the road and they either ignore me or give me an odd look. A WRX driver did nod his head to me once, but that's been it. Just curious. Thanks for any input.

#2 kamesama980

kamesama980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Columbus, IN

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:06 PM

Is this while driving the 1995 Imprezza L Wagon in your profile?

Any "wave" is usually for unique or rare vehicles or those obviously different from normal enough for the drivers to congregate. As a guess, your non-STI wagon probably seems like a hanger-on to them.

For example, I might wave to another Baja owner but probably not to any other Subaru driver (nor expect it in return). Same goes for my old Beetle. I would not expect it in the Firebird (stock or modded), 50/50 the Cressida if it looked well cared for or modded (and the driver under 50 years old lol).

#3 tbolt1003

tbolt1003

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • Media, PA

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:16 AM

Yes, while driving my 95 Impreza L wagon. I was just wondering. Figured it was a certain model deal.

#4 dfoyl

dfoyl

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • Victoria, Australia

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:08 PM

Never heard or seen a Subaru wave. My "other" car - a 1971 Valiant (US 1967-69 Dodge Dart) will generally get the Valiant "V" (2 finger salute, but with the palm facing the other driver, like the V for victory rather than the other version!) - this is almost definitely a uniquely Australian action based on the mid-70s Charger ads ("Hey Charger" - look it up on Youtube).

#5 Peterbluth

Peterbluth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • USA

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:32 PM

also if your car is over 15 years old you don't need to register it with the RIV

#6 idosubaru

idosubaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 23,176 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:23 PM

Any "wave" is usually for unique or rare vehicles

Most Subaru drivers (like most vehicle owners) are practical get in the car and drive types that aren't that familiar with or worried about any specific manufacturer. They aren't on forums, they dont' think about cars that much, they know just enough about their vehicle to enjoy and like it.

There's so many Subaru's in some areas you wouldn't be able to own a manual transmission if you waved at every one you drove past.lol

Edited by idosubaru, 11 September 2017 - 02:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users