Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've searched the internet up and down..I just can't seem to find a cat back exhaust for my Subaru.

Any of you guys know where I could find a cat back exhaust for my 96 Subaru Outback 2.2?

Starting to think I might have to go to a muffler shop and have them fab me up a custom exhaust.

I have Custom Uel headers on it, and want it to sound deep... but not so stupid loud you can't talk or hear the radio.

I'm open to idea's on mufflers! 

Serch your area for a "custom muffler shop". Do NOT take it to a Midas or other similar muffler shop chain. You want the hole in the wall, 2 guys running the shop deal that advertise "custom exhaust" work. These are the guys that will hack your muffler off and weld in whatever you bring them.

If you want long-lasting, consider buying pre-bent mandrel sectioned pipes and have the shop weld them, but talk to the guys first to make sure it's something they'd do. They might be able to order it themselves, or have some on-hand. They might also need the car up on a lift with you saying what you want. You can order nice pipe sections online. Buy straight sections, and "J" sections. Ask them how much of what you'd need i.e. 4 "J" sections, and 5' of straight, etc.

If it were me, I'd go with 2.5" OD from cat back, and run an average muffler. Could try something like a chambered Flowmaster, etc. but go with a mildly aggressive note or less as they can get LOUD, quickly i.e. no 40 or 50 series. 

I personally like to run Summit Racing Turbo Mufflers on NA cars. They are NOT for turbo'd cars. The name originates from a time when "turbo" was a generic synonym for "fast".

I like these mufflers as they give a really clean sound w/o being obnoxious. Might be a little too quiet in a catted car, but they weigh roughly 8 pounds (vs. a 35-40 pound stock muffler) and sound good and clean went mashing the pedal. They only cost $35. I've always run them on my 302 powered Mustangs and they are meaner on those, especially when running an "H-pipe".

Don't go larger than 2.5" pipe as it'll slow the car down off the line. 2.25" pipe might give a little better early torque curve, along with better velocity, but it'll sound quieter. 

A cheap work around would be to run 2.25" pipe until the muffler, then weld pipe adapters to the muffler and jump it to 3" in/out. It'll sound a tad more aggressive while maintaining more back pressure.

Could you give a link the muffler, maybe I'll have them make me a cat back and just clamp the muffler instead of welding it on so I can change it if it's not what I'm looking for. I want a nice deep rumble. Not straight piped loud, but close! Lol. I'll look on YouTube and find a Subaru that kinda sounds like what I'm after. Thanks a lot for SO much information!!