Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem with IACV / unsteady idling after engine swap (EJ22, 1992/94)

Hello!

I have a problem with my IACV / unsteady idling after swapping my engine (from MT car to AT car), see http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/159399-swapping-engine-from-manual-transmission-to-automatic-transmission/

Everything is fine so far, but the engine is idling bad, alternating between about 400 and 1.400 rpm constantly. Sometimes, however, it works fine... The ECU throws me the error code 35 for the IACV. I already swapped over the IACV from the "AT" engine in an try to correct the problem, but it had the same part number and it changed nothing.

I was searching the FSMs for any hint how and where to find the issue. But I didn't find any difference between AT and MT except that there should be some voltage with AT when testing it. However, I can't find any difference in the wiring diagrams.

I also changed the spark plugs and the ignition wires just in case and to be sure it's not somehow related.

Please, do you have an idea what this problem is caused by? I'm a bit stuck with this problem... Thanks!

Did you use the intake off the MT car? When swapping engines its usually best to keep the matching intake to your car since there are a lot of subtle differences through the years of Subaru's.

Was the mt car a 90 by aany chance? The 90 MTS use a different IACV