Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Premium fuel needed for turbo??

I am wondering if I can get a way with a lower octane in my '92 Legacy Touring Wagon, turbo. It calls for premium on the gas cap, but here at 6500 feet we can use a lower grade. I use mid-grade and don't really see any problems but am wondering what could happen. Is it possible to use the lowest grade once in awhile? I can't afford premium even when gas is not out of this world!

Actually, at this altitude the mid-grade is 87 octane. When I travel back to the midwest, I go with the mid-grade there which is 89. No pinging or knocking in the past year but did have to replace the fuel pump. Could that have been anything related???? It was an expensive repair.

Actually, at this altitude the mid-grade is 87 octane. When I travel back to the midwest, I go with the mid-grade there which is 89. No pinging or knocking in the past year but did have to replace the fuel pump. Could that have been anything related???? It was an expensive repair.

Nope, totally unrealated. Fuel pump motors do burn out over time, but you can extend the life of your fuel pump by replacing the fuel filter at the suggested intervals: a clogged filter will cause the fuel pump to work harder and cause premature failure.

By the way, if you can get away with using a lower grade fuel without any ill effects on the engine or its performance, it will actually keep your combustion cleaner because there is an inverse relationship b/t octane level and volatility. Hence, the lower the grade the more competely the fuel/air mixture will burn on each combustion cycle, leaving fewer deposits. That said, I've never owned a turbo engine.

Take care,