Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 popped, and died, no restart...

So I was leaving my house today, turn out on to the main road, shifted into second, got on it a little bit to hear it wind up, nothing more then 4k if that, shift into 3rd, hear a pop noise, thought the engine was running, no throttle input, pulled it out of gear, tried to do it again, it was dead, coasted into a parking lot. I then tried to restart, sounded a little weird, but turned around just fine, but nothing at all. I peaked in the crack of the timing cover the belt spins, so nothing is locked up. I'm thinking I might have skipped a few teeth. The car in question is a 1996 Impreza Outback sport, with an EJ22, it is completely stock at 216K.

Any input would be great, thanks, Harold.

Looks like the crank and passenger side marks line up, but the driver side is 90 degrees out. That's not good. Fortunately, no damage was done since it's a non-interference engine, putting the belt back on properly will bring it back to life. You need to figure out WHY it jumped time, though. Make sure your tensioner isn't loose and flopping around.

Very cool, I'm super glad that there was no damage. I hate to be that guy, but between the two engines I did work on over the winter, I have a timing belt with 20k on it, and enough good pulleys to do all the work. I'm going to clean up all the oil down there to, I have a feeling that doesn't help at all. I have fixed the leak, but never cleaned it all up. 

So I replaced the belt with a used one, after looking my my buddies car, it had just under 15k on it, since the last belt was done, with all new pulleys, The parts that I got my my friends car are all Aisin parts, Pulleys, belt, and tensioner, and they all have the same mileage. So I feel pretty good about that, I'll probably do a real timing Job when I do the Clutch some time next year, but for now the car runs great. I also pulled the plugs, checked the gap, and replaced a suspect spark plug boot due to burn on the rubber. All in all, even with messing around with steam cleaning the whole front side of the block, so I don't have to worry about oil getting everywhere again, it probably took 4 hours. I was even able to get it done without removing the radiator. Thanks for all the help guys, and thank you Subaru for not having an interference engine in my car, lol.