Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but wasn't sure of the alternative.

Ordered two complete (with ball joint) lower control arms today for an 05 outback with steel originals. The replacements were aluminum. I'm sure some of you know the company but they looked like quality pieces and you can get them cheap on Amazon. Since I see so many asking about Aluminum bits, this could be a good alternative. The website could also be a decent place to figure out what parts will fit your car and they have a parts interchange search bar. At the very least, the website could be a useful tool.

http://partsonline.mevotech.com/default.aspx

Subaru sells a set of front lower aluminum arms complete with ball joints and group N bushings under their SPT performance catalog for about $330. These are for the 02 to 07 Impreza. For older cars you have to swap out the front inner bushing because the WRX ones are wider. But the bushing is only $15. We have put these on 90's cars no problem. Just installed a set on a 96 Legacy.

The ones you are referring to will only fit the 05+ Legacy and 08+ Impreza.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Wow, I would never have thought aluminum would be a choice for suspension parts.  I know Al alloys are up to it, 7075 aircraft aluminum, other alloys I've probably never heard of. But aluminum is much cheaper than it used to be, I guess the industry hit the tipping point?

Edit:

Greasemonkey03:

I don't suppose you got a view of the internal structure, like how thick the wall of the structure is?  how do they weigh in comparison?

Edited by lostinthe202

Lots of cars have aluminum suspension bits. I don't know what type of alloy they are but I refer to them simply as aluminum. I didn't get a look at wall thickness. They were noticeably lighter but by how much I couldn't tell you. Probably not enough to be worth it, I'd stick to the steel myself but I know people look for al bits to swap in so I figured I'd pass it along.

I don't know enough to know what the advantages are when wrx al bits are swapped in. Maybe camber? I'm not entirely sure.

Aluminum alloys have the advantage of having a lot of flex, meaning it can be bent further than steel can and spring back to it's original dimensions .  I don't doubt that Al replacements are a thing, with the right geometry, Al would do nicely.  Just curious what that geometry is.  The auto industry is hard pressed to meet MPG standards, so lightening the vehicle weight has got to be part of that equation 

Edited by lostinthe202
  • Like 1

The control arms are solid aluminum castings. The primary win is "sprung weight" reduction. It's not a heck of a lot though. In the case of the SPT ones they add track width and remove caster making the handling more flat - reducing understeer.

GD

I figured cast Al, but surely not solid on the inside, probably a lattice work of some sort?  Is there a weld seam visible?