Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Limited Subaru Legacy with Gaskets On There Way Out

So first time poster here but have a question.

I own a 1999 Limited Legacy(35th Anniversary edition). Anyway, it hit the 162,000 mile mark and I have been informed both the head gaskets need to be replaced. I love the car but since it was out of commission for over a week and they told me it was best to buy a new car rather than repair, I did(2017 premium Legacy...nice).

Anyway I still have the 99 and am trying to figure out best thing to do with it. It will run for like 10 or 15 minutes before it starts to overheat but have been told someone will buy it for parts or fixing it up. I just have no earthly idea what it would be worth in current condition.It has some minor dings and scuffs on outside with a spoiler, moonroof, heated seats and all black leather interior. Everything works just fine and even has new breaks but guess I was lucky the gaskets lasted this long as it was a serious design flaw.

Anyway, anybody have a suggestion? Should I try to sell? If so what kind of price? Should I just haul to a scrap yard and sell for scrap? Just not sure so if anyone has some experience please let me know. Thanks!

Edited by Talapus

Welcome,

Just to clarify, this is NOT the Outback/SUS model w/the 2.5/EJ25D engine, correct?  But sounds like it's outfitted like an OB. If yours is the 2.2, it's what is known as the Phase 2 and has external leaks....still needs HG replaced.

There's another post just 'down the road' w/a similar question and $500 was offered by GD, a local tech in Portland. That car had over 200K, which means yours 'should' be worth more. I know over here on the East side (Spokane-area), they're getting close to $1K for these....depending on how patient you are, the condition of the car, and whether you know if the engine has been overheated badly multiple times. If the latter, it'll need a complete new/rebuilt engine - not just HG.

TD