Ultimate Subaru Message Board

factory manuals covering the 87.5 XT - question

jono

regarding the 87.5 XT that seemed to be in production for what, six months - January to August 87 ?, the factory manuals that covered the tiny differences - such as the different distributor and ECU..were the differences covered in the factory manuals for 1987 XT or was it a tiny scrap of supplement of twenty pages or so?

I have an electronic version of section 2, but I am of the generation that needs to thumb through smelly old paper and oil, grubby marks etc to be able to absorb the info ( short term anyway:) ) Being electronic data storage I need to nail it down in the glove box with a compact reader rather than have it mixed with other useless to me memory sticks.

Unsure if the eversion spells out the differences between 87.5 and 87 ...or, was there even an 87 AND an 87.5 ?

Did the XT just go from the 86 "three plug ECU, flapper AFM, separate knock control box, vac can on dizzy" to the 87.5 model "4 plug ECU, hotwire MAF, optical no can dizzy with knock control and spark control being the fourth plug of the ECU" and then August 87 shift to the 1988 model with small changes to the 4 plug ECU and optical distributor" ?

So, if that just thought of idea is correct, any 1987 factory manual will contain all needed to be known about the unit we all seem to call " the 87.5" ??

And to add to the questions while on the topic. I have a post 87.5 distributor er.. 1988 or 1989 that I am told is not gonna work in my 87.5 as it stands, but can be reconfigured to work in the 87.5?

Coz I would feel better knowing I have a spare dizzy I can carry about that is going to work on placement and not need a possible roadside dummy spit coz it needs careful dissembly in a hermetically sealed surgical theatre somewhere??

Any comment, useful or not appreciated. Diagrams even better, hotos be the ducks guts :)

At least here in the States, the 87.5 version of the XT was the end of the run for turbos.  But again here in the States, the turbo option continued up to including 1990 in the wagons and sedans.  My guess is if you find a 1988 through 1990 FSM, you should have the same data for the 87.5.  

88-90 FSMs for either the sedan or wagon.

Edited by john in KY

ahh...see we got the turbos to the end I think.

back in 86, 87 the RX was priced at low 20's plus on roads and dealer delivery charges, the XT turbo is listed in a magazine as mid 30's and no extra for auto which back then would have normally attracted another two grand. At the same time you could have bought locally built GM-H VL Commodore with Nissans turbo 3.0 six pot screamer list price half that of an XT!

Reckon they sold many XT's??

The dealers sales guys had a point system where if they sold an RX they got 4 points. Sell an XT they scored 8 points. One guy told me recently he sold four XTs in a month and got a trip to Japan, went through the factory and saw the flat six on the assembly line, think he shuddered at how hard it would be to sell that for its price!

We did not get them

The SVX first sold here I think low 70's !!

I have an 88 ECU as a spare and it is different part number (just one more of the 21 different ECU part numbers for the EA82! to the 87. I need to physically compare my made in April 87 turbo manual awd dizzy with my spare, different part numbers there too - I should be referncing to part numbers uhuh ?

Edited by jono

NA 87 4cyl XT in the US were basically the same as the later 88-90.  First year of the spider intkae.  there really is no !/2 year version here.

The odd duck that is known as the 87.5 to us int eh states, is the 4Cyl turbo model w/digidash, air suspension and Spider intake w/turbocharger.  Hotwire MAF and Optical disty.  I have an FSM that covers this fuel setup, but otherwise the cars are the same as later 88+  oh and no turbo xt4 in 88 just the XT6.

****  Important disty/ecu note ****

All 87 (and 87.5) us models that used the optical disty, w/round connector, MPFI or SPFI, have ECU's with the Ref and Signal pins of the disty swapped.  Only these 2 pins are reversed, and other wise disty and ECU can be swapped from other years.  But you must swap the 2 pins at the disty....since ECU pin swap is more difficult but you gotta reverse the position of the Green and the White wires in the disty plug.