Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sunroof drains 95 Legacy LS

All,  I have a water drip on the passenger side of the dash when it rains.  It drips right from the bottom corner of the dash onto the edge of the rug at the door opening.  I thought maybe the drain for the air was plugged, nope nice and clean.  I pulled the fan and vacuumed 22 years worth of dirt out of it and still have the leak. SO, I am thinking sunroof drains maybe now.  I opened the roof tonight and saw what I think are the drains, oval slot at the front in each corner, and my question is, how do you clean these and where do they empty out?  If the one on the passenger side is plugged that may be my leak. One night this week I am going to cover the sunroof  with a tarp and run a hose over the windshield to confirm my suspicions. 

Anyone else have a idea I might try? 

Thanks everyone,   Mark

Edited by foxgap

they have tubes connected to them that run down the A pillars and exit under the car, similar to how the AC drain works (there is also a pair at the back of the housing that run down the C pillars, I believe) - it is possible that a hose has become disconnected and that is where your moisture is coming from.

unfortunately, the only way to get to them is to drop the header panel.

Have to remove the pillar trim, the trim around the door opening, unscrew the sun visor and remove it, then you can drop the corner of the headliner down far enough to get to the drain tube. Grab it and wiggle it back up onto the nipple on the drain, zip tie it to hold it in place.

Nope. Drain tubes are really the only thing that's below the track assembly. Everything else is above it.

Can't say I've ever had to lubricate one. They usually have silicone grease that pretty well stays put on the tracks. I suppose if someone had a dog or lived on an excessively dusty road the track could get some dirt in it, but other than removing any dirt/leaves from the drain areas there isn't much to do.