Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing new Head Unit in 96 GT wgn

I'd like to buy a new CD player head unit for my 96 GT wagon. Is there a site or thread (I searched and couldn't find anything) that gives detailed instructions on how to do it?

Also, does buying a Panasonic make it any easier with connections (OEM radio is a Panasonic). My car is an auto tranny and has the electric antenna.

Is this an easy project? do I need to do any soldering?

Thanks!

Aja1

I'd like to buy a new CD player head unit for my 96 GT wagon. Is there a site or thread (I searched and couldn't find anything) that gives detailed instructions on how to do it?

Also, does buying a Panasonic make it any easier with connections (OEM radio is a Panasonic). My car is an auto tranny and has the electric antenna.

Is this an easy project? do I need to do any soldering?

Thanks!

Aja1

go to your local stereo shop and buy a wire harness and faceplate kit you might not need it if the factory radio is the same size as aftermarket. sometimes there is a little storage area underneth the radio in which case you should be able to just screw it into the existing mounting hardware. The wire harness plugs into your factory harness and is color coded so you just connect all the aftermarket wires to the harness and you should be good to go. As for the electric antennae, you shouldnt have any problems, just follow the instructions included with your aftermarket radio. Hope this helped...

The easiest install is a WRX 6-disc changer that plugs right in to your car. They are readily available on ebay and elsewhere (NASIOC) for usually around $125. I did the install on my 96 Legacy LS Wagon that has a stock power antenna, and everything works fine. You do lose your clock, though, since the WRX unit does not have a clock function.

Hope this helps.

The easiest install is a WRX 6-disc changer that plugs right in to your car. They are readily available on ebay and elsewhere (NASIOC) for usually around $125. I did the install on my 96 Legacy LS Wagon that has a stock power antenna, and everything works fine. You do lose your clock, though, since the WRX unit does not have a clock function.

Hope this helps.

What do you mean plugs into my car? Do I need to take apart the center console?

The hardest part (or I should say most cumbersome) is taking off the center console. I'm not familiar with the 96 legacy, but there's probably a screw under the cup holder, maybe some on the side or on the bottom- just look around. A panasonic head unit will be not necessarily be easier/harder than another brand to install. I would second the recomendation to get a wiring adapter- it just makes it easier, especially if you want to put the old radio back in. All the wires match up- including the power antenna wire.

It really is that easy.

The WRX Changer is an in-dash, radio/cd changer/cassette player that replaces the existing radio (newer versions - '04 and newer -may not have the cassette player). As noted above, the "hardest" part is taking the old radio out. It's not hard to do, though. Also, if you use a WRX or other late model OEM Subaru CD/Radio, no additional wiring harness is needed - the car's existing plug simply plugs into the back of the new radio.

As I remember, you first pull out the cupholder above the radio and remove the screw on each side - 2 total). There are two screws in the small cubby hole next to the cigarette lighter/dash power outlet - they are located in the top of the cubby, facing up. For easier access to these two cubby screws and to help pull out the trim, it's recommended to first remove part of the center console - lift the center armrest and you will see two screws right behind the parking brake. Unscrew them, place the car in neutral and simply pull the center of the console piece straght up - it snaps out easily. Remove the trim piece (unplugging the lighter/power outlet as you go). Unscrew the six screws holding in the radio, and pull the radio out (it will be attached to the larger storage pocket just beneath it). Unplug the antenna lead and power plug. If you use a WRX changer, the existing power plug fits right in, with no other harness needed. You re-use the mounting brackets from the original radio, which fit on each side of the WRX radio / CD changer. You do not re-use the large storage pocket, since the double-din WRX radio fits the whole space, previously taken up by the stock radio and large storage pocket.

Hope this helps.