Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD binding Dealer says "C-Selenoid" + ...

The 4wd is totally binding up on my wife's '96 Automatic Outback and The dealer said it needed a "C-selenoid" and also recommended a clutch kit at $ 1,395 including parts and labor. They also quoted $ 396 for replacing (2) leaky valve covers which I think sounds rather high but I haven't looked into doing the job myself yet.

It sounds to me like this C-selenoid has failed and they don't know if it also needs the clutch pack so they just threw that in as part of the estimate.

Can I replace the C-selenoid myself? Or can I just electronically disconnect the 4 wd completely? I've heard of this and maybe it would eliminate the 4 xd binding problem we are experiencing. Thanks in advance for your help on this matter.

You could put the fuse in the FWD connector located under the hood on the passenger side near the firewall. This will put the car into FWD. Temporary Only!! You still need to get the trans fixed.

The c-solenoid (4WD solenoid) should be replaced by an experienced tech. Probably won't need the clutch pack depending upon the vehicle mileage.

Hope this helps.

Guest lothar34
You could put the fuse in the FWD connector located under the hood on the passenger side near the firewall. This will put the car into FWD. Temporary Only!! You still need to get the trans fixed.

The c-solenoid (4WD solenoid) should be replaced by an experienced tech. Probably won't need the clutch pack depending upon the vehicle mileage.

Hope this helps.

Wouldn't the solenoid need to be working to put the car in FWD mode?

No, the solenoid doesn't need to be working to put the car in 2WD. Putting the fuse in cuts the power to the solenoid, and it closes on no power and releases the clutches. If your car is binding try a couple of things first: Check all your tires and make sure they're the same diameter - that's the biggest problem. Change your tranny fluid. Put the fuse in. If the fuse fixes it you may have a problem other than the solenoid. By the way, it's not too tough to get in and replace the solenoid and clutches. You just have to remove the extension housing on the transmission and it's all easy to get to. Do some searches on this subject, there's some good info in the older posts. Good luck.

Actually dashton it's the other way around. Putting the fuse in the fwd holder supplies +12v to the duty c solenoid which causes it to remain fully open, and the fluid to bypass the rear awd system.

M6, as long as the solenoid works....putting the fuse in should eliminate the binding. If the duty c solenoid is totally shot....putting the fuse in won't make a difference. It's a good way to do some diagnostic work yourself.

here's some fsm scans & diagrams that may be of use understanding everything.

http://main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/AWD_transfer_system1.jpg

http://main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/AWD_transfer_system2.jpg

http://main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/AWD_transfer_system3.jpg

As for the leaky valve covers.....yeah that seems awfully expensive.

Oops - you're right Josh, I got that backwards.

M6_Broke_Me, you mentioned you are thinking about disconnecting the AWD electrically. You can do it, it's easy, and it's what I have on my legacy. I just found the duty C solenoid wire coming from the transmission connector and spliced a switch in. I did it because my AWD didn't work, and now the switch forces it on. In theory, you could wire a three position switch in place that would allow you to choose between FWD, AWD, and 4X4.

FWD = continuous 12V (with 15a fuse)

AWD = connected to trans computer output

4X4 = 0 volts (no connection)

Please check me on this Josh, but I think it would work. At least it works for me between FWD & 4X4. Good luck.

Oops - you're right Josh, I got that backwards.

M6_Broke_Me, you mentioned you are thinking about disconnecting the AWD electrically. You can do it, it's easy, and it's what I have on my legacy. I just found the duty C solenoid wire coming from the transmission connector and spliced a switch in. I did it because my AWD didn't work, and now the switch forces it on. In theory, you could wire a three position switch in place that would allow you to choose between FWD, AWD, and 4X4.

FWD = continuous 12V (with 15a fuse)

AWD = connected to trans computer output

4X4 = 0 volts (no connection)

Please check me on this Josh, but I think it would work. At least it works for me between FWD & 4X4. Good luck.

Yup, that's right.