Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New rear speaker option for wagon owners!

I found these things at the boneyard a couple months ago and never got around to putting them in. They're the rear speakers out of a 90 Toyota Corolla All-Trac SR-5 wagon- ya know, the weird looking AWD one that doesn't look quite like a normal Corolla. The pods are about a foot long and hold 4" speakers. Most of the mass is the duct work- these speakers are ducted like a wave radio! They sound just like my Pioneer 6 1/2" door speakers, maybe a little better- with the crappy stock Toyota speakers! Can't wait to get some decent ones in there and hear how they sound. The headliner can't support their weight, so I dropped it down, and ran bolts and washers all the way through to hold the things up. The stock headliner clips won't hold the weight either- but it turns out that XT hood hinge bolts (had some in my toolbox) perfectly fit the holes for the small clips and hold it up just fine.

These added a whole new dimension to my stereo... I'd recommend them for anyone who has a wagon. My Loyale didn't even have rear speakers, and my experience with the GL ones in the back doors is that they really do nothing for sound quality or clarity.

Here's a pic (click it)

Picture_004.thumb.jpg

by doing that, you decreased the hauling capacity for the fill the car up and pile it on the roof sales!

go for some wheel well mounted ones

I remember spending many hours laying down on the back seat listening to the speakers in the doors

Another option would be to look for an early 90's ranger with the XLT package. Look behind the seat and you will see to small oddly shaped black boxes. THese also contain 4" speakers but perform astoundingly well for their small size. I'll take pics of the ones in my truck so you can see what to look for.