Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GT 2.5's ALL NEED High Tests???

Hi all again!

I think I just stumpled upon a fact that'll kill my search for an early 2.5 GT(other than the Head Gasket debacle). Is what I'm hearing true? SoA says you HAVE to run 91 Octang, High Test?

Is THIS true??

Many thanks, Ted

For 99 GT I usually used "plus" not premium. It depends on the station what octane that is because it blends reg and prem at pump so 89-90. Usually pinging was more related to how many miles were on the plugs not the octane in the tank.

i have a 97 2.5 gt dohc in basically perfect condition and totally up to date on maintance ( i am a tech for a living). even though i try not to, i ahve ran regular grade fuel without a problem. i have a few performance upgrades so i always try to run premium fuel or mid grade if i have to. all you can do is try regular gas, if it pings try a better grade fuel. the owners manual should clarify what grade gas is recommend.

I find it hard to believe that the pre-2000 Legacy 2.5GT would need premium (don't know if the 2000+ models are any different, though). They have the same engine as the 1998 Impreza 2.5RS (the only DOHC 2.5RS) and that car only requires 87 octane.