Ultimate Subaru Message Board

early mpfi ea81/ea82 disty advance question

ok, so im messin with my distributors on my ea82 mpfi. the stock one has two vac ports, and all the carb ones i see have only one.

just for reference the fuel injection on these cars is just that, fuel injection. it has nothing to do with the timing at all, cept if you have a knock sensor. but then it just retards it.

i ran a carb one, and blocked off the extra hose comin off my manifold, but the bushing is worn so my tach jumps alot.

so i came across a 2wd disty from a xt, with mpfi. it has the two ports. i ran it with the second(bottom) vac tube plugged, and only the top one gets ported vac.

it looks like on the ones wiht two ports, makes the mechanism go the same way when you apply vac, so im guessing its not a retard mechanism. my little vac controller box is broken and does not function so i cant figure out when it gives vac....

so im thinkin if it is a progressive vac advance, little at first, more at full throttle, could i put these two ports on a t and put it to ported vac, to get more advance faster?

my car weighs less than anything this motor or disty was designed for, so im not too worried about pinging because of load.

anybody have any exp with the mpfi motors and messin around with timing advance? any help would be greatly appreciated. even ideas, that might not seem to apply.=]

tried the t trick, and it seems different... i'll have to get it on the highway to tell any reel gains. no timing lite test either.

there needs to be a section on a board just for the early flapper style mpfi systems, cuz they are so differnet from the ea82 hotwire setup, and the legacy stuff.

doooooooooooooood I drove ALL OVER the cities yesterday trying to find a timing light! Every sign I saw that said 'tool rental' I went in and no luck :( Wish A-Z was open yesterday! When I get that lite you'll have to come by