Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When we go on a trip with the 92 5spd AWD we average around 28-29 miles per gallon at around a average of 80MPH. The best milage my dad and i ever got in any of our soobs was in my SVX 31 miles per gallon with a average speed of 80 plus with the ocasional 110 mph pass. That was huge surprise for me.

My 92 loyale gets a solid 29mpg in highway only driving, I like that.

Is it feasible to find an early 90's Legacy with 2.2L manual and non-AWD that can get similar MPG?

I have a 91 Legacy AWD Wagon with a manual commute 500 miles a week. I get 29-31 MPG Highway very constancy driving 65-70 mph.

My car was 121k and I run synthetic oil in the motor.

Hope this helps.

You will love the added power and size of the Legacy.

Thanks for sharing that, it's encouraging. It looks like Legacy is a few notches above the ole Loyale... and the fact that it doesn't sacrifice any mileage is a great thing. 29mpg is respectable from any vehicle. Also, how much does the Legacy wagon weight, say 2wd?

Your engine will have to be well-tuned up to make these kind of MPG numbers, but it's not impossible. I'm obsessively anal-retentive about how well my Legacy runs, and coming back from the Dragon in NC, on I-75, going 85-90 the whole way, I was averaging 34mpg :D

Ran an EJ22 5MT 1990 Legacy from 120k to over 185k miles. Absolute best, crusing 50-55mph, 31.5mpg. Making time in Germany, at 125mph, I would still get 19,3mpg. Overall average was 23mpg. Evenly mixed driving.

I have converted from km per liter, using 1.609km to a mile, 3.9 liters to a customary gallon. Km figures are 13, 8, and 9.5km/l