Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.2, MT mileage?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 viceversa

viceversa

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 17 July 2004 - 01:58 AM

My 92 loyale gets a solid 29mpg in highway only driving, I like that.

Is it feasible to find an early 90's Legacy with 2.2L manual and non-AWD that can get similar MPG?

#2 ExNihilo

ExNihilo

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Phoenix, AZ

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:42 AM

Well, the EPA highway estimate for the 2.2 Legacy sedan my stepdaughter has, is 28 highway. She doesn't do any highway driving, so I don't know if it'll actually do that. Anybody?

#3 teppichkopf

teppichkopf

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:55 AM

Just talked to my friend who drove a '94 EJ22 manual from the east coast to the west coast with three adults, a heavy bark chipper in the back, and speeds of 80 mph, and got 29 mpg averages. Not too bad.

#4 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 17 July 2004 - 01:27 PM

When we go on a trip with the 92 5spd AWD we average around 28-29 miles per gallon at around a average of 80MPH. The best milage my dad and i ever got in any of our soobs was in my SVX 31 miles per gallon with a average speed of 80 plus with the ocasional 110 mph pass. That was huge surprise for me.

#5 rweddy

rweddy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Castle Rock, CO

Posted 17 July 2004 - 02:25 PM

My 92 loyale gets a solid 29mpg in highway only driving, I like that.

Is it feasible to find an early 90's Legacy with 2.2L manual and non-AWD that can get similar MPG?

I have a 91 Legacy AWD Wagon with a manual commute 500 miles a week. I get 29-31 MPG Highway very constancy driving 65-70 mph.
My car was 121k and I run synthetic oil in the motor.

Hope this helps.

You will love the added power and size of the Legacy.

#6 viceversa

viceversa

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for sharing that, it's encouraging. It looks like Legacy is a few notches above the ole Loyale... and the fact that it doesn't sacrifice any mileage is a great thing. 29mpg is respectable from any vehicle. Also, how much does the Legacy wagon weight, say 2wd?

#7 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,420 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:08 PM

Your engine will have to be well-tuned up to make these kind of MPG numbers, but it's not impossible. I'm obsessively anal-retentive about how well my Legacy runs, and coming back from the Dragon in NC, on I-75, going 85-90 the whole way, I was averaging 34mpg :D

#8 teppichkopf

teppichkopf

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:31 PM

34 mpg?? Very nice. That with FWD or AWD? Manual or Auto?

Wish I could get those numbers.

#9 XenoWolf

XenoWolf

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Tremont

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:16 PM

I got a little over 30mpg on a round trip to/from Boston. 99 AWD Impreza Wagon w/ EJ22 and 5-speed.

#10 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:17 AM

Ran an EJ22 5MT 1990 Legacy from 120k to over 185k miles. Absolute best, crusing 50-55mph, 31.5mpg. Making time in Germany, at 125mph, I would still get 19,3mpg. Overall average was 23mpg. Evenly mixed driving.

I have converted from km per liter, using 1.609km to a mile, 3.9 liters to a customary gallon. Km figures are 13, 8, and 9.5km/l

#11 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,420 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:24 AM

34 mpg?? Very nice. That with FWD or AWD? Manual or Auto?

AWD, manual. And the car has 135k miles too. I couldn't believe it myself!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users