Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Forester ran rough. Suspected plugs so changed them yesterday. Also changed air filter. Fired her up and she sounded great for about 10 seconds and then she died. Repeatedly have fired her up with same result. She won't remain at idle. Does not sound like plugs, wires, coil as she runs great while she's running.

If I keep giving her gas, she will continue to run. Once I lay off the gas, she stalls.

Suspect MAF sensor. No CEL has come on. Anything else could cause? I checked all hoses/wires.

Mahalos

Suspect MAF sensor. No CEL has come on. Anything else could cause? I checked all hoses/wires.

I agree with Bill90. Check and doublecheck the hoses on the air filter housing. Make sure everything is seated properly and connected. Even if you have to take the whole thing apart and put it back together. I really think you'll find that's the problem.

- Ed

Thanks all. The 1 3/8" hose underneath was connected only partially. The end connecting to the air filter box was rotting on the underside. Fixed her with some duct tape and going to the parts store today for a new hose.

I probably pulled her when I was reaching over to do plugs. There's just so much room to work with ;-)

Whew, not MAF sensor ($244).

ML