Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'90 Legacy Electrical Problems

This issue is related to a short previous thread regarding the 10A "Meter" fuse that cripples the car. When it blows the instrument cluster stops working along with the power windows and sunroof AND the automatic quits shifting. This bears out looking at the schematics, Fuse 15 (Meter) is used to supply power to all those items in some way.

Well finally I hit the point where I popped about 8 fuses (in a row) and concluded that I had a problem.....before I would replace the fuse and run with out a problem for days. Using a meter I have a dead short to the point that my positive battery terminal has continuity with the ground lug on the engine.

Out of desparation, while I was stranded, I tried progressively higher fuse values (dumb I know but I was stuck). Each one would pop a little later (milliseconds) and at 25 A I started to smell (a little) smoke - then the fuse went (I stopped the experiment). The smoke seemed to be coming from the roof (sunroof?). It seems every time that I had the problem the sunroof was open, to the best of my memory.

1) Has anyone troubleshot this type of problem and have hints of the best ways to go about it? I'm an electrical engineer but its much easier to look at the back of an industrial control enclosure.

2) How do I remove the head liner to get to the sunroof, where are the screws?

3) Anyone disconnect the sunroof relay? I can see the sucker (pink, Haynes calls it red) with the knee panel removed and can get my hand on it when laying on my back and twisting my arm like a pretzel but can't seem to disconnect it. If I can get this off then I may be able to avoid remoing the headliner if not needed.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 6 years later...