Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

auto to manual swap in a turbo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LUVMYBRAT

LUVMYBRAT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • Laramie

Posted 17 August 2004 - 12:21 AM

just for a moment I thought I might want to put a manual tranny in place of the auto in my kids 84 turbo coupe, besides the obvious (pedal assmbly, tranny, and cables) can it be done? what axles are needed? howabout optimum clutch set up? can either 5spd or 4spd work? naturally it'll be a d/r 4wd.give me all the possibilities I've got either tranny available, oh yea what drive shaft is needed. Again this is an 84 turbo coupe with auto and shift on the fly 4wd

#2 mons72

mons72

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • mo i rana

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:22 AM

yes it can be done, you can use both 4 and 5 speed tranny. the axels are i'm noth sure of they fitt right on. the axel from tranny to rear end may perhaps be changed. :) i will say that you should use a d/r tranny.

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,325 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 17 August 2004 - 01:13 PM

all 3spd automatics use the 23 spline axle, so that means the axle will fit ANY 3at turbo or non, and any non turbo 5spds

the only tranny that wont fit the 23 spline axle are the 25 spline full-time, full time dual range(rx) and 4spd automatics(full time)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users