Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I am new to the discussion group and hope that someone out there can help me with a problem I am having with my 1999 Impreza. I decided to try and install new gauges in it. After taking the gauges apart, I decided that I did not like the look of the gauges I had purchased. I put the original equipment gauges back on and now the fuel, gas, and tach gauges are not working. Help !!! I am frustarated at this point. Justin

Welcome to the group here. Hope you enjoy it. There are some savy Soob owners here with good technical advise.

Hopefully this problem is just a loose connection. I would go over each of them and reconnect them. Also check to see if any could have been connected to the wrong plug. If that doesn't help then I would check to see if power is getting to them. I assume you have checked the fuses already.

I recommend you invest in a good service manual for problems like this. They can save you a lot of frustration, time, and money over the years you have the vehicle. You can get CD versions off of Ebay cheap. You can also download manuals from the Subaru website for $20 dollars. Think about how much your time is worth to yourself?

I've tried reconnecting them. Gas gauge is now working but the speedometer is still not. I have been looking for a manuel that covers the 1999 Impreza and so far I've come up blank ( I mostly have looked at auto & book stores). So if you know anywhere that has a manuel for this year of Subie, please let me know. I have manuels for all the other Subarus our family owns (6) and have seen manuels for the Legacy but not the Impreza.

I've tried reconnecting them. Gas gauge is now working but the speedometer is still not. I have been looking for a manuel that covers the 1999 Impreza and so far I've come up blank ( I mostly have looked at auto & book stores). So if you know anywhere that has a manuel for this year of Subie, please let me know. I have manuels for all the other Subarus our family owns (6) and have seen manuels for the Legacy but not the Impreza.

what do you need a speedo for anyway! fast is fast, slow is slow.. just stay in the middle

I had a speedo issue once with one of my cars after rmoving the gauges. Well actually 2 issues. The first time when I pulled out the gauges I also pulled the cable out at the transmission. Another time I didn't quite get the cable in behind the gauge. It looked connected but it wasn't actually in. I'm not sure how 99 impreza gauges are set up like so this might not even help at all.