Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Trailer Wiring on 2003 Legacy L Wagon (Not Outback)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 20 September 2004 - 01:50 AM

I recently purchased a 2003 Legacy L "Special Edition" wagon and am looking to install a trailer hitch on the vehicle. From what I have read and found there isn't a wiring harness that plugs into the factory wiring system for the Legacy Wagon unless it's an Outback model. So what I'm wondering is if anyone knows of any place that makes/sells wiring harnesses that plug into the factory system for just a plain 2003 Legacy L wagon or if anyone has used an Outback wiring harness on an Legacy L wagon?

Thanks,
Heath

#2 ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:26 PM

bump

I recently purchased a 2003 Legacy L "Special Edition" wagon and am looking to install a trailer hitch on the vehicle. From what I have read and found there isn't a wiring harness that plugs into the factory wiring system for the Legacy Wagon unless it's an Outback model. So what I'm wondering is if anyone knows of any place that makes/sells wiring harnesses that plug into the factory system for just a plain 2003 Legacy L wagon or if anyone has used an Outback wiring harness on an Legacy L wagon?

Thanks,
Heath

#3 met

met

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Wilkes Barre

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:30 PM

Hi, I use a trailer on my 95 Legacy L wagon which requires a powered tailight converter to isolate the trailer lights from the car's stop and turn lights. It's not hard to hook up with included splices. I also use a cat. 2 hitch I got from hitchesonline.com. I found that the short tongue on the trailer was prone to sway - sometimes severe. I also installed a friction style sway control device which is worth its weight in gold as we travel to and from Colorado to Pennsylvania every winter.

#4 scottsheppard@videotron.ca

scottsheppard@videotron.ca

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Ottawa

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:24 AM

Just noticed your posting after I posted a similar one. Have you had any luck? ANy good comments that helped?

Cheers

scott

Thanks,
Heath

#5 ReaLiTY

ReaLiTY

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:32 PM

Hi Scott,
I wasn't able to find any sort of harness in the Legacy model nor any posts that said it had one. It looks like it is only in the Outback. So I ended up just splicing the wires and it works great. If you have any quesitons, let me know.

Heath

Just noticed your posting after I posted a similar one. Have you had any luck? ANy good comments that helped?

Cheers

scott

#6 gbhrps

gbhrps

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • canada

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:55 PM

Gentlemen,

On my 02 OBW I couldn't find the wiring harness plug that the factory trailer hitch installation manual said was there, behind the panel of the rear wheel of the driver's side. It was on THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CAR, behind the passenger side rear wheel. Does the same thing apply to your Legacy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users