Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid Sun Roof leak! Where R the Drains? Gasket?

Hi ALL wise Subee owners!

OK! I just bought this 1997 GT Wgn. I've found that it has they typical Sun/Moon roof leak! I've just spent a couple of hours trying to fix leak! I'm CLUELESS! I've look at the "leak" threads. I went to the Legacy BBS! Looked at the "Sunroof" threads! Most say if it leaks into the passengers side, as mine does.....then it's the drains! I can't find these drains! Some say that it isn't the drains, but it's the gasket, it wears out! Were is this gasket? Is it the one the surrounds the glass? Mine seems fine! No cracks! ANYONE one have Pictures? there was a link from the Legacy BBS, now it's DEAD! I HAVE not REMOVED HEADLINER! NOT THAT BRAVE!

I'm wet and Steamed! SubeeTed!

If you have a sunroof leak ,your more than likley going to have to pull the sunroof mechanism out and resal it

But before you do that you can check the drains first by taking a 1 gal size jug full of water , opening your sun roof all the way and pouring the water by the corner of each side at the front of the sun roof ,slowly it will fil up fast ,also make sure your on the out side of the sunroof guide /rail

The water should come out just behind the front wheels and the rear of the rear wheels . The tubes for the drain run down the front "A" pillars (front) and down the "D" pillars (rear) The exit through each wheel arch just under the inner fender liner

The gasket you are looking for is actually a Butyl sealer (black) simalar to what they use to seal windsheilds with.

The sealer is just under the guide/rail and the frame that mounts to the body

What happens is the sealer dries out and cracks and lets the water from the outside of the guide/rail into the inner part of the sunroof on to the sun shade and down the back of your neck when you hit the brakes or round a corner

hope this helps

SEA#3

If you have a sunroof leak ,your more than likley going to have to pull the sunroof mechanism out and resal it

But before you do that you can check the drains first by taking a 1 gal size jug full of water , opening your sun roof all the way and pouring the water by the corner of each side at the front of the sun roof ,slowly it will fil up fast ,also make sure your on the out side of the sunroof guide /rail

The water should come out just behind the front wheels and the rear of the rear wheels . The tubes for the drain run down the front "A" pillars (front) and down the "D" pillars (rear) The exit through each wheel arch just under the inner fender liner

The gasket you are looking for is actually a Butyl sealer (black) simalar to what they use to seal windsheilds with.

The sealer is just under the guide/rail and the frame that mounts to the body

What happens is the sealer dries out and cracks and lets the water from the outside of the guide/rail into the inner part of the sunroof on to the sun shade and down the back of your neck when you hit the brakes or round a corner

hope this helps

SEA#3

Thanks for the sensible explanation! If I had heard (read) this the first time I wouldn't have written this thread! My Blood Pressure is better now also! Now I know what to do!

Many,Many thanks, SubeeTed

• 1 month later...

I have a 97 GT Wagon and I had the same sunroof leak.

I removed the A pillar plastic trim and the two sun visors and passenger side handle and then pulled down on the headliner to reveal that the plastic drain pipe for the sunroof was no longer attached to the drain spouts.

For some reason they shrunk by about an inch so all of the water from the sunroof was draining on top of the headliner then down the Apillar plastic trim into the passeneger and driver footwells.

I fixed the problem by going to Home Depot and buying some 1/2 inch inside diameter plastic pipe and two plastic barbed fittings for joining the original and the new plastic pipe to extend the tube to reach the drain on the sunroof.

Laz

Thanks! I'll give this a try!!

SubeeTed

I removed the A pillar plastic trim and the two sun visors and passenger side handle and then pulled down on the headliner to reveal that the plastic drain pipe for the sunroof was no longer attached to the drain spouts.

For some reason they shrunk by about an inch so all of the water from the sunroof was draining on top of the headliner then down the Apillar plastic trim into the passeneger and driver footwells.

I fixed the problem by going to Home Depot and buying some 1/2 inch inside diameter plastic pipe and two plastic barbed fittings for joining the original and the new plastic pipe to extend the tube to reach the drain on the sunroof.

Laz

Hey there

For what its worth...When I got my 93 legacy, it happened to be raining...and I discovered the common occurance of a leaking sunroof (mine is on the drivers side mainly...) After weeks of dealing with a wet rump roast...which sucks!! I grabbed a caulking gun and a tube of silicon...My sunroof only opened a bit, so I opened it as much as I could...put silicon all along the edges, and close the sunroof! Then with a sponge and warm water, you clean up the mess....

(for most effectiveness, obviously take off the sunroof shield...)

but I havent had a problem since...other than not being able to open my sunroof...But Id rather deal with that than sitting in a puddle everytime I go somewhere...

Chris! good luck!!

I guess the option of fixing it it lengthy and expensive!! But a tube of caulk costs 5 bux!

Hi and THANKS!

I took this route that you'de tried here!! I think it works!! I pulled the headliner down.......tube NOT (Passengers side) connected! I looks like Subaru used a clear tube that shrinks with age! As in gets smaller, alot smaller! I pulled on the offending passengers side tube....as I let go...it started to shrink up immediatly! While I was doing this....I couldn't tell how it was supposed to be routed! SOoooooooooo I took apart the drivers side......tube NOT connected here either!!!! But it was close enough that I could tell the correct routing! So I put some silicone on the drivers side one, slipped it back on the frame of the Sunroof. Now the passengers side......I tugged on the tube alot, made it alot longer than it needed to be, I knew that it would just shrink up again. I used silicone again, but I knew that I really needed to secure it.....I found this tiny plastic zip tie, zip it on, trimmed the excess! Unfortunatly Subaru used an incorrect plastic for this job, as it gets older it shrinks! Not to mention that there is NO fastening device for the tube at the connection, plastic prong at the connection doesn't cut it after a while!

Intereior panels are easy to take off. I used a painters 5in1 tool, worn. A putty knife would do, a dull one! I'de pop off some of the center trim, allow the front trim to come off easily(trim around door openings) . You have to be patient. The caps for the hang-on things for the passenger is a pain, twice, there are 2 of them!

GOOD LUCK!

Laz