Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

overdriving windshield wipers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pray4wind

pray4wind

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Hillsboro, OR

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:01 PM

Greetings Subie-folk,
I seem to have a problem w/ my windshield wipers on my 95 legacy...hoping someone can give me some advice.
I've noticed lately that the wipers are awefully loud and finally observed that the driver's side is overdriving (going past its designed stopping point before returning) and hits the a-pillar.
Does anyone know it this can be fixed by adjusting something or is it time for a junkyard visit to find a new motor assy?
Thanks,
Thorsten

#2 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:32 PM

Loosen the nut that holds it on the wiper post and reposition the arm so it doesn't swing so far. Tighten the nut back on the bolt.

#3 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 10 October 2004 - 02:25 PM

That nut is hidden under a soft plastic bung.

#4 coloradosubarules

coloradosubarules

Banned

• Banned
  • 870 posts
  • Port St. Lucie

Posted 10 October 2004 - 08:32 PM

Check to see if the gear that the wiper arm rests on is stripped in any manner.

#5 pray4wind

pray4wind

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Hillsboro, OR

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for your replies guys.

Didn't think about repositioning the arm. I'll have to check it out.

I guess there's a possibility that something is stripped, because when first turning the wipers on, they do fine for first few swings (stopping well before a-pillar) before overdriving and hitting the pillar. It also seems they overdrive at the opposite end (judging by the noise) although I haven't verified this yet. Maybe the nut holding the arm is just loose...

#6 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 12 October 2004 - 12:38 AM

Another great design from the Subie engineers, at least on my '96, the wiper post is not splined, so if the nut loosens just a bit, the wiper arm is free to move about the cabin while the seatbelt sign is off.

Most automobiles have splined posts to prevent this from happening.

#7 Guest_jclay_*

Guest_jclay_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:32 PM

My '94 legacy has splined posts, and my wipers did the same thing after replacing a wiper arm. do the repositioning ASAP, if it continues to hit that pillar/frame of the windshield, it will strip the internal mechanism. i know this from experience. if it were to be stripped, the arm would not move at all.

jared

#8 coloradosubarules

coloradosubarules

Banned

• Banned
  • 870 posts
  • Port St. Lucie

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:24 PM

I was out and about today when it started to rain and it got me to thinking of this post...Wouldn't you know it, my drivers side wiper is overextending as well. I know what I will be doing tommorow.

#9 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 13 October 2004 - 12:03 AM

Just throw some locktite on the threads and the post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users