Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How does your Impreza sit?

My 98' seems to sit low in the back. Almost like the late 80s and 90s 4-Runners. I swear the car has a 5 to 10* slant with the front sitting higer.

btw... I still have not replaced the shocks I think may be bad since I get a bang from the rear when they seem to bottom out. The rear being lower should not be from this... but then... what do i know? :P

First off, I hope we agree that new shocks (dampers) will not alter the ride height. New springs would be needed for that.

Anyhoo, to me, my Legacy always seemed to slant a little, and the same goes for my Impreza. The Legacy was 10 years old and I replaced all the springs and dampers. Even though I used stock Sube parts this did wonders for the handling, but nothing for the slant.

My Imp is coming up to it's fifth birthday, and there are no signs of weak springs or dampers.

I think the slant is a visual optical illusion in the eye of the beholder :-)

First off, I hope we agree that new shocks (dampers) will not alter the ride height. New springs would be needed for that.

You wouldn't think so... but I remember replacing the shocks in a jeep I had. The new shocks took a good 50 to 75lbs just to begin compressing them. As soon as you let go they (slowly) expanded back to full. The old blown ones that I took off would compress with about 5lbs and moved rather fast compared to the new ones. Those were rancho shocks and made the Jeep ride rough. I agree it is the springs that determine ride height, but I'm thinking the shocks can have a small effect on the height... just like grabbing your rear bumper and pulling on the car you can raise the rear a little... so too can a stiff shock?

Just wondering...