Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback 110,000 miles & still going strong

Hi,

We have a 2000 Outback, purchased brand new. Currently have 110,000 miles on it and is still running strong. My wife drives mostly highway with it. Haven't had any trouble at all.

We've replaced usual stuff like brake pads once and tires once. Just had the timing belt done. We change oil/filter every 4,000 miles. Is there anything else I should expect to replace soon. I want to make sure my wife doesn't break down on the side of the road.

How many miles will this car go, before having problems ?

Thanks for any help !

Paul

Hi,

We have a 2000 Outback, purchased brand new. Currently have 110,000 miles on it and is still running strong. My wife drives mostly highway with it. Haven't had any trouble at all.

We've replaced usual stuff like brake pads once and tires once. Just had the timing belt done. We change oil/filter every 4,000 miles. Is there anything else I should expect to replace soon. I want to make sure my wife doesn't break down on the side of the road.

How many miles will this car go, before having problems ?

Thanks for any help !

Paul

110,001 miles is when it all falls apart.

Let me know. I too own a 2000.

Good luck.

I drive a '98 OBW. I will say that my Subaru experience starts with an '88 DL that died (put to rest) at 300,000mi. My '98 OBW: replaced rear-main seal and timing belt @ 100,000 and replaced transfer clutch when I bought it under warranty with 60,000 mi. and that's about it besides the usual (brakes, tires, belts etc.). So, I'm quite pleased with it and fun to drive.

He's got the Phase II EJ25, 2.5 SOHC.

The best thing I can say is to be an anal FREAK about maintenance! I'm not saying the car is crap, but I'm saying really take care of it. If you are religious with your maintenance, the car could easily see 300K.

My Legacy is at 137k miles right now, and the engine runs like it has 137 miles on it. I still can hit 112mph, which is the top speed of the car NEW! I'm a freak about maintenance, and really, I dream of seeing it last as long as I can drive!

Auto, I take it? It seems the auto's are geared better for high speeds. Josh (Legacy777) says he's hit 130 in his Legacy when it was FWD auto.

If I mashed the gas harder and was patient enough, I think I could have eked a bit more out of it, but I had already put the car through enough that weekend (went to the Dragon in NC and practically raced it through the mountains, covered 1600 miles in 3 days)

It is an auto, ..... Even at 120 it was a smmmmooooootttthhhh ride.

Hmm, I do agree the auto's tend to be geared a bit taller. But with my neerly stock 94 Leg Wag 5spd, coming up from CA (with a load, and friends) I hit about 117Mph one time (on the flat)...it's getting out of the powerband in 5th at that speed, but any sort of a downhill and I'm up to 130 in no time........And YES, Very Smooth....well untill I have to slow down (these warped roters are cramping my style!) :rolleyes:

So...I need some Brembos, and a 6-speed... (and a turbo wouldn't hurt)