Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I’ve got a set (all 4 tire) of cable chains that I’ve run on my 99 Outback. I bought them when I lived in Boulder CO, and never got a chance to use them out there. I have used them a few times here in NY. Once I used them to pull someone out of a snow bank. They worked great. I pulled out a Chevy Lumina that was hung up on a huge snow drift and the front of the car was buried in a snow bank. I tried pulling the Lumina out with just snow tires but nothing, just spinning. It only takes a few minutes to put on the chains (but somehow seems much longer when you’re crawling around in the snow). I strapped on the tire chains and pulled the car out with ease and never spun a tire (I sure wish I had a hi-lo range though).

There isn’t a ton of clearance in the wheel-wells so make sure your chains are tight. Cable chains have a low profile and work great but I don’t have any experience with any other types of chains. If they are loose you can do some serious damage so make sure you get them tight. If you put them on as tight as you can and drive a few feet you can usually re-tighten them a notch as they straighten themselves out on the tires. They are loud and I wouldn’t go over 30. Have fun in the mountains.

I’ve got a set (all 4 tire) of cable chains that I’ve run on my 99 Outback. I bought them when I lived in Boulder CO, and never got a chance to use them out there. I have used them a few times here in NY. Once I used them to pull someone out of a snow bank. They worked great. I pulled out a Chevy Lumina that was hung up on a huge snow drift and the front of the car was buried in a snow bank. I tried pulling the Lumina out with just snow tires but nothing, just spinning. It only takes a few minutes to put on the chains (but somehow seems much longer when you’re crawling around in the snow). I strapped on the tire chains and pulled the car out with ease and never spun a tire (I sure wish I had a hi-lo range though).

There isn’t a ton of clearance in the wheel-wells so make sure your chains are tight. Cable chains have a low profile and work great but I don’t have any experience with any other types of chains. If they are loose you can do some serious damage so make sure you get them tight. If you put them on as tight as you can and drive a few feet you can usually re-tighten them a notch as they straighten themselves out on the tires. They are loud and I wouldn’t go over 30. Have fun in the mountains.

Thanks for the info!

I just looked at the chains I got are pretty trashed.

I saw some at Costco last night for $35 so might just grab a new set.

I have also seen those cable type, might look into those also.

Thanks

Being a new Soobie owner, I now have the 10amp fuse in with my spare tire, in case (of a flat) I need to get to a tire shop. I also have one set of chains, which if needed this year, I will run on the front tires. This shouldn't pose a problem to the AWD gearing, should it? I have about 20% left on the tires that came with this 93' Leg. Wagon and I want to wait until next year for new tires. Any of you experts want to let me know if I need 2 sets of chains?? Kowboy

PS: My wife thinks I'm a little crazy, but I really like the information on this board. Thanks!