Ultimate Subaru Message Board

along with my bad gas mileage my exhaust stinks!

my exhaust on my 86 d/r 4wd wagon is stinking like gas almost. smells rich... the car seems to run good and start good but gets 19mpg which sucks! my distributer is advanced all the way.. do you think its off a cog? you cant advance it anymore. the car doesnt ping or anything just is hard on gas. also new air filter, fuel filter, plugs straight pipe exhaust (no mufflers) what can i do? choke is also working properly

May be time for a carb rebuild, but first check the choke, did the bad mileage start (or get worse) with the colder weather? If the heating element in the choke doesn't work it will hang closed and run VERY rich, you can check the element with a multi-meter or test light, the coil gets old and breaks. Check to see if its getting power too (Note: it only gets power when the car is running, not just with the key on). I had a bad element in my '87 wagon, it never caused a problem in the summer because that under hood temp was high enough to open the ckoke. But when winter set in it would get cold enough while out on the freeway that the choke would almost close completely and flood the engine.

Gary

the plugs are good, wires im gonna replace. the choke and everything works just as normal as can be. i had a mecanic work on all that and got it to work perfect. dont know if its getting worse or not because i bought the car late this summer and ive been driving it to school and its been the same ever since ive owned it. the distributer timing have anything to do with it? maybe i should pull the thing out and move it a cog then retime it

my exhaust on my 86 d/r 4wd wagon is stinking like gas almost. smells rich... the car seems to run good and start good but gets 19mpg which sucks! my distributer is advanced all the way.. do you think its off a cog? you cant advance it anymore. the car doesnt ping or anything just is hard on gas. also new air filter, fuel filter, plugs straight pipe exhaust (no mufflers) what can i do? choke is also working properly
Two things would give you raw gas smell from exhaust: Misfire and/or overly rich mixture.

Is it idling rough like it is misfiring? I assume not.

Can't remember what you have written before regarding status of the carb... can't even remember if you said that this was a new condition or has always been.

You have checked the choke, so next bet is float level and/or float needle valve. If the float and valve are set wrong, things will run too rich and or spill-over into throttle bores. If the valve needle/seat are leaking, same prob as float set to high. Better needles have a viton rubber seating surface, more likely to seat than metal/metal, plus handles vibration better.

Another possibility is too high of fuel pressure. Should be OK unless big mismatch between carb application and pump.

Also, depending on carb, if top of carb (also top of float chamber) is not tightly screwed down you can get fuel leaking into throttle bores this way.

Before you pull the dizzy, get a timming light and see where its at now, I would think the timming would have to be WAY off and effecting drivabilty to hurt the mileage much.

Bad carb float/inlet needle? Look down the carb at idle, is the main jet dripping? (carb rebuild time)

How does it feel for power, maybe some other engine troubles?

Do you have the AT3 tranny, my '87 cadb wagon with the AT3 only gets 22mpg with mostly freeway running, I'm sure with a lot of around town running it would get 19mpg or worse. (why I bought the RX.... 5 speed = 26+mpg)

Gary