Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new member with question

I drive a 99 outback wagon 2.5 dohc 85k. (First SUBY and I Love it!) Recently started "missing" at moderate throttle. Took it to the dealer and requested all the service they could perform to get current. (a little overdue but...) No change in the miss. Got billed for new spark plugs but I am not sure they actually got changed. I would like to pull one and check but, what do I have to do to get at them? Doesnt seem to be much room between the motor and frame to get them out.

Could it be something else simple.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks/Ray

if you pull your plugs get at those buggers from under the car. It makes it a lot easier.

When I did my plugs I had to put the socket and extension in first...then connect the ratchet.

But I seriously bet the dealership did replace your plugs. They are seriously worried about CSI reports. But check em anyways. You never know you might be a one in the million that the mechanic spaced putting them in or something.

Generally whenever I've had a misfire in the past. It's been the wires.

I drive a 99 outback wagon 2.5 dohc 85k. (First SUBY and I Love it!) Recently started "missing" at moderate throttle. Took it to the dealer and requested all the service they could perform to get current. (a little overdue but...) No change in the miss. Got billed for new spark plugs but I am not sure they actually got changed. I would like to pull one and check but, what do I have to do to get at them? Doesnt seem to be much room between the motor and frame to get them out.

Could it be something else simple.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks/Ray

Welcome to the group.

First stop going to the dealership!!

Find a good local subaru shop, they are way better than any dealership. Plus you live in CO so there are tons of good shops.

Plugs are very easy to get out use a wobble socket if needed.

At the age of the car, it could definitely be wires as mentioned. They have probably never been changed.

What do you mean by "miss"? My 97 OB developed a low rpm hesitation. Just a slight delay in throttle response, or a bit of stumbling at times when starting off. Anything more than a 'touch' of throttle was fine. It gradually got worse, climbing into higher rpms (1000 to 1500) to the point where it felt like it was "missing" if I was driving thru town and the engine was loafing along at about 1400 rpm. The problem turned out to be carbon build up. These cars run rich.

I'm not saying this is your issue if you truly have a "miss". Just something else to be aware of. A MotorVac treatment fixed me up for a couple of years. The second time it happened, I ended up changing the O2 sensor and that aleviated things.

Commuter