Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front brake caliper replacement

It seems as though I have a sticky front passenger's side brake caliper on my 96 Legacy Outback. The aluminum rim heats up so much I burnt my finger when I quickly touched it (yes, that was dumb...)! After successfully rebuilding/replacing the caliper on my 88 Ford Fiesta this weekend, I sort of feel like I can repair anything.

Is this most-likely the problem before spending all the money on a new caliper? With ABS etc, is this a smart thing to do by myself, or should I leave the car with the mechanic instead to have him screw it up?

Thanks beforehand!

Sweden

Speaking of Auto Stores, local radio host Ed Wallace that does WHEELS here in Dallas Ft. Worth market just said last Sat. that one of the richest men in China is here in the U.S. to buy most of the supply houses for auto parts. That means they will make most parts their and then control the market here also. He used the word circular.

Does this mean our reman parts will last longer too? Why can't Subaru buy out all the rest of the car companies and then the world could drive safe, reliable cars?

The trucks would have EJ60's

Luxury cars would have EJ50T's

Sports cars would have H30SC's (super charged)

You could put SubaNOS in your Roo.

We would have GooRoo tires...

Sorry..I was thinking if Subaru took over the world.

Thanks for the responses!

I will due a little additional background work on caliper prices here in Sweden--both dealer and Swedish 'AutoZone'. I won't attempt the rebuilding myself.

Now, How about the replacement? Is this a job for a professional only, or can someone with basic repair stills do one on his own? Messing up the ABS worries me... Anything I should watch out for?

I am also not receiving any responses on my replacement tire post. What tires are everyone using for this vehicle?

Thanks again!

Sweden

Thanks for the responses!

Now, How about the replacement? Is this a job for a professional only, or can someone with basic repair stills do one on his own? Messing up the ABS worries me... Anything I should watch out for?

I am also not receiving any responses on my replacement tire post. What tires are everyone using for this vehicle?

Thanks again!

Sweden

This can be done on your own quite easly, it is so simple that a brake shop should be embarassed to charge people to change the pads, rotors and calipers on Legacys :-)

More than likely you have suffered premature wear on the pads and rotors if the caliper has been sticky for a while so you might be looking at a complete brake job on the front. If you caught it soon enough and everything is fine it will take you longer to jack the car up and take off the wheel than it will to change the caliper.

If you didn't and you need rotors and pads, you can change them too with minimal effort. The hardest part is finding somebody to help you bleed the brakes after you change the calipers.

The ABS sensor should not be a problem just be aware of it and don't beat on it with a hammer :-)

As for tires (I didn't see your post) but I will tell you the Bridgestone Duellers we put on our 96 OBW SUCK. Let me be clear, THEY REALLY REALLY SUCK!!! I have been happy with the Yokohamas (sp) Avid H4s on my 93 Legacy. A touch of road noise but the radio is still louder :-)

Good luck!

My experience has been that ordering anything from the states is cost-inhibitive. The tariff charge often doubles the price of the item and that's before the steep shipping charge. I'll see if I can hunt one down here. I had no problems with the pads, so I don't expect the caliper to be a problem.

Sweden