Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I now can participate in both forums

I will be picking up my new 88 XT GL 4WD tomorrow, as well as keeping my 91 Legacy.

Since I am technically a 80's-gen n00b, I have a few questions:

1) Biggest one... how do I use the 4WD pushbutton on the shifter? Is it shift-on-the-fly? Can I engage it at 70mph? Can I engage it in turns? How long can I leave it on? How often should I use it? Etc, etc. I want to keep this thing as operational as possible...

2) What weaknesses do XT's have? I know the BC-BF Legacies' niggles in and out, and have mostly tended to them. I don't let small problems go unnoticed, that's why I never have big problems... :D

3) How much fun are they? Believe it or not, I find my Legacy to be more fun than a barrel of monkeys, and I would love to have the same expectations for this XT...

Thanks in advance for any input...

subyluvr2212

Okay, I don't know about all of your questions, but here it goes,

To engage the 4WD (NOT AWD!! Maybe your XT is fulltime 4WD, not sure), Push in the clutch and press the button. It is shift on the fly, but I personally have never shifted into it at any speed above 5 mph. Shifting into it at 70, although not the best idea is possible (i think, don't hold me to it) as long as you are on dirt, snow, gravel (again not the best idea to be going 70 on any of those surfaces:eek: )

IF your car is fulltime 4WD, then you could shift in a turn, but i dont see the point unless you're wheelin. (Again, not positive, Don't hold me to it)

An XT is an ea82. Engine wise, it is pretty reliable. Be sure to replace timing belts every 60k or so. Thats a biggie. A lot of people run into bad radiators due to the age of the car and all the crap built up in them. Usually the best idea is to replace it, and not waste money on trying to flush it, just spend the money (ifn it needs one).

Some other problems i can think of are the lifters ticking. This isn't a horrible problem, more like a very annoying one. Couple of ways to "fix" this, is to mix in a heavier oil with some Marvel mystery oil. If that doesnt work, then you might need a new oil pump or you just might need to reseal your current oil pump...(difference of about $100)

I don' have an XT (at least not yet, anyway;) ), But i do have an Ea 82 wagon (an 87) and can say that it is an awesome car and i have a BLAST in it.

Thanks,

WOW!!!

I drove the car home yesterday, it performed almost flawlessly, except for the shifter bushings being shot, which is a problem on the Legacy also.

But when I got home is when I noticed something truly remarkable. Remember, I still am new to 80's Subies, I didn't know the GL came with air suspension. At first, I was PO'ed, since I knew that the system was doomed to failure, until I looked in the wheelwells and strut towers...

MY CAR HAS A BRAND-NEW AIR SUSPENSION!!!

So just the parts of the suspension are worth some $2000 and I paid $1625 for the car...

I have found a very rare SouthEast Subaru gem, I really stole it too, and am proud to have given a special Subaru a loving home :D:banana:

glove box manual says that you don't need to push the clutch in to go from Fwd to 4wd. You only have to push the clutch in when you go from Fwd to 4wd Low or 4wd to 4wd Low or 4wd Low to 4wd.

If you have a manual for the car look for the transmission section. It should set you straight.