Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pics from Ocala

RavenTBK

Heres a handful of pics I took while riding with members of my Bronco club out in Ocala National Forest (and nearby).

These are ones I took myself.. theres another camera that was on the ride that hasnt posted.. and he's got plenty of action shots of me & the brat gettin down. :D

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30237

Surprisingly enough, I only got stuck once...and it wasnt even that bad. If I had a set of M/T tyres I most likely would've come right out. I did, however, go through some seriously nasty stuff that took some clutch and steering finesse. 4000rpm and between 1st low and reverse.. got right through. This ride kicked rump roast! On the downside, I wont be able to get home without swappin a pair of fresh axles up front. I drove down with torn doj boots, and the mud and grit has clogged them up somethin fierce. Its bad enough now that one clicks bad goin straight, and the other produces a low growl that I can feel in the seat. Fortunately, I'm still in Ocala, and I'm gonna stop by CVO and buy a fresh pair before I begin the 200mi trek home. :D

I'll post up the other pics when they come in.

There actually are a handful more Brat action shots.. Larry (big rump roast red & white Bronco.. aka, "the winch") went through the area in my sundown shot... and everybody else was pussing out cause Larry had a hard time getting over a fallen log at the beginning. So I said what the hell and went for it. With the A/T tyres, I didnt get much traction, so I kept the wheelspin up and bogged my way through it. The log was no big deal.. the Brat just walked over it like it was nothing.

Anywho.. the entire group was standing at the end of the run watching me. When I startedthe climb back out of the hole everybodys jaw dropped. :slobber: Supposedly theres another handful of shots Larry snapped of me giving it hell in that hole. Hes gonna post up on FSB (the site I linked to) later tonight. I cant wait.. :grin:

Looked pretty sloppy out there! :lol: Need some more Brat action shots next time! Oh and that Jeep's tires were WAY too narrow... he should get some WIDE ones :-p
That jeep was a trip. It hadnt been off the trailer for 15 minutes before he snapped that rear driveshaft.

I later learned why it broke... the mofo has a 454 Chevy and a turbo tranny in it coupled with stock drivetrain parts. Damn Jeep Dana 35 axles trying to turn those 48" turf tyres.. god. Waay too much engine in that beast. It was fun to watch for the 15 minutes though. :)

I wouldn't run more than a 31 with the D35. Anything bigger deserves the old reliable D44. If it was me I would have D44 with one of those new electronic lockers by eaton. Chomoly axles and U-joints.

Screw it!! A pair of rockwell Dueces!! With pinion brakes!! Thats what I'm talking about!!!

What was he running for a TC? Gears?

Some Brat action pics from that last hole... click any image to enlarge. Heh.. from the spatter on the side of the Brat, you can tell I spent most of the day in FWD. I ran FWD for as long as possible, until I had to go 4wd to get out. It let me know the limits of the Brat w/ this setup. Although in this hole is was 4wd all the way. Next upgrade is a set of 30x9.5 baby swampers and welding up that rear end. :D

DSC01773.jpg

DSC01774.jpg

DSC01778.jpg

DSC01780.jpg

DSC01781.jpg

DSC01782.jpg

DSC01783.jpg

Yeehaw that's what I'm talk'n about! Action shots of the Brat :grin:

OKay so which wussies wussed out on that wuss hole? :rolleyes: I'd hit that in a stock subaru.... were they scared of getting stuck or something? :lol: Looked like there were plenty of rigs to pull anyone who got stuck.

Love that desert camo by the way. Looks good in that light with mud splater all over it!

Heh.. at stock height you wouldnt have made it over that log at the beginning of the hole. There were aso some hairy spots in the middle that I had to jump from 1st low to reverse and back again. In that hole, I was #2 behind Larry's big mama Bronco on 37s. I had some serious ruts to contend with as his 6000# beast sank down in several soft spots.

Hell.. I'd prolly attack it myself in something smaller. Yes we did have plenty of rigs to pull each other out. I know I wouldnt have made it.. but yeah. BANZAI! heh.

It was a great ride. Now I was the scrawny puppy flopping along trying to keep up with the big Broncos.. and it took a bit of balls and a lot of wheelspin to keep up, but I did it just fine. I was told that most of the holes I floated on okay, and if I had some mud terrains, I'd run circles around the Broncos instead of barely clinging to not being stuck in the deep stuff. :D