Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The fun begins

Good year to all,

Greeting to all, and to all thanks for the wealth of information I have already mined from these foums.

'98 Chev extended cab, 3/4 ton, two wheel drive does not do well this time of year at 6000 ft. in Central Oregon. Sooo--

So a couple of months ago from an aquaintence I purchased a tired old almost straight bodied (two dinged doors) '86 GL wagon, EA82, carb, bald tires, poor front buckets, at least one poor axle, weak synchro's in 5 spead dual range, but good glass and every thing works. Very low oil pressure at idle only. 200 bucks. How could I go wrong? It runs!

So now my mail man's sister is ready to sell her retired and hibernating for several years, (read currently buried under 16 inches of snow with four flat bald tires) '85 GL wagon, same color as my 86, perfect glass and body, 12000 miles on rebuilt engine (proffessional shop job), new front axles, push button on stick 4x4, exelent interior, something wrong with the automatic tranny. She says that six months after the engine build, tranny screwed up. She is not mechanicaly inclined, so can not give details. (you know how some folks are, cars either work, or they do not) The mechanic that rebuilt the engine, to quote the gal I am buying the car from, said that problem was transmission govenor. This was replaced or repaired, which is unknown. She only drove it for a couple of months after that, when it "broke down" again. Having lost faith in the mechanic who rebuilt the engine AND repaired the auto trans, she took it to someone else. Again, she was told it was the transmission govenor again. She gave up. Bought a Suzuki. This Soob has sat for several years now. I am buying it.

Dilema. The 85 is generally in nicer condition than my 86, with the ever so tired engine. Still, I don't really care to have the auto, and besides, what the heck is really going on with that auto trans? (Yes, I know, I need to get this 85 towed home, get a battery in it, and see what happens, next week I hope!)

By the way, the owners manual on the 86 says it was originally sold with an auto. So there has already been a transplant. If my DR 5 speed was in better shape, I would just stick it behind her fresh engine in the "new" 85. That could be done couldn't it?

But I guess it would be easier and maybe make more sense to just swap her engine into my 86, replace my two dinged doors, and ride that 5 speed into the ground?

And will her axles fit in my 86? I have searched your archives, and it seems perhaps not. Is the 85 diff the same?

I don't know what to do. If the Auto trans is a cheap fix, maybe that's the way to go for now. Maybe look for another engine, or rebuild the 86, slap a webber and lift kit in and make a hunting rig.

Help!!!!!!!!!!! To many fun options!!!! At first I thought I just needed a "doner" car, but now I see vast possibilties!!! Where does it end???? Sorry for rambling, but I'm exited. Or greedy, I don't know which.

Pyromanic

axle will fit. governor is probably bad. if the car does not go maybe the frobnt diff, as there is a separate fill tube for GEAR OIL, and people mistake this for atf and goodbye front diff.

autos for 85 and 86 have the 3.7 final rear diff, as the 5spds have a 3.9.

if the 85 is in better shape, all the 5spd stuff will swap in to replace the automatic. if you have to find a new tranny for the auto, just get another 5spd and the parts to it

Axles: Auto and Manual have diufferent spline count (23v25,IIRC).

Diff: Auto is a 3.70 ratio, and "normal" manuals are 3.90.

Auto Transmission: Governor has a couple things that can go wrong, so it depends on what was repaired/replaced before. An obvious problem is a stripped ("apple-cored") driven gear. Replacement is needed, uncertain how long replacement will last. The other problem is gummed up governor valving; this is an easy fix, requiring that the valve mechanism be disassembled, edges deburred, sliding parts polished and cleaned *meticulously* and reassembled. Dirty/burnt ATF will cause governor problems. Governor problems are easy enough to evaluate and repair.

Another common problem is ruptured vacuum diaphram. White smoke, ATF loss, overheated ATF because of lowered level, burnt ATF gums up governor...

Doesn't reduce your options... sorry.

Thanks for the offers to come and help. Much appreciated. But funds don't change hands untill tomarrow, then I start work on getting the mail- ladies '85 home. It's a two mile tow. Will have to slack chain it. And thanks for the info all-----

Do I need to drop a drive line for a short tow? Or what needs to be done to not screw up any drive train componets? (worse than they are, that is)

Lots of snow here, and no where to work inside. Will not get going on whatever I decide to do untill spring. (Unless we get some warm weather) No Hurry.

So if my 86 started out life with an a/t, it has the taller geared final diff, correct?

And are the rear axles all the same? (a/t vs. man 5) If not, then that means,------

I'm really thinking that I'll just take the motor out of the 85 and drop it in front of the man. 5 sp. 86 and drive. That 5 sp will probably make it for a while. Swap out her doors for my two dinged ones. Then start keeping an ear to the ground for another ea82 and TWO man 5 spd's. I really would like to lift one and warm it up for some off road fun.

Sure wish I could use those 85 axles out of the auto/trans.

And now for the REALLY ignorant question. Does that 85 auto trans even have the dual range feature? I think I should know this already. But I really don't.

And one last question before I turn in. Back in the day, we would take our mid 70's Chev PU trucks and peel the small amount of emmissons controll crap that was on those small blocks as was present. Wasn't a lot, but it did nothing but good for Horses and simplicity. Geez there's a lot of dang tubs and stuff on these Soobs. As far as I know, a rig in oregon is not going to be inspected. How about it? How much of that stuff can I get rid of, if any? And WHOA do I dig the idea of dumping those timing belt boxes!! You bet, there gone!

Thanks again guys,

Later,

Pyromanic

Not quite.

3AT and N/A 5 speed = 23 spline

4EAT(turbo) and turbo 5 speed = 25 spline

Rear diff = every auto I have seen has been 3.70, but have heard there are some (N/A) that are 3.90

All turbo = 3.70

All EA82 LSD = 3.70

ER27 LSD = 3.90

N/A manual = 3.90

i have some axles sitting in town if your interested..the are 23 spline. i also have a bunch of other suspension/brake parts if your interested

Thanks for your interest! I will probably be needing a front axle or two before long. I take it these you mention are used? Price? What condition? But really I need to get the 85 home and evaluate the situation. Maybe monday.

What I probably REALLY need is a 5 speed man. tran for the 86 before I pull that 85 engine. Guess I'll just drive the 86 the way it is for now. I put new tires on it two days ago. Sticky goodyear snows. Biggest what would fit in the wells without mods. Love the way it feels compared to those tiny stocks.

Where does one find a rebuilt man trans?

Where does one find a rebuilt man trans?
Considering the total cost of these cars, most of us stick with junkyard trannies. The manuals are pretty stout and last a long time. You find a car in a wrecking yrad with under say.. 150k, you're looking usually at a $100-$150 investment. And its a pretty good bet that if it will shift through the gears its a good tranny.. Not to say I have never seen one crap out, but on the 5 speeds it has been few and far between

For reference, my FT4WD 5 speed has 195k on it and its still in pretty good shape. If I were to treat it to some redline, I'm betting it would be in great shape

The difference in spline count with manuals is 23 spline for normal and 25 spline for TURBO. all 3spd autos are 23 spline, turbo or not, and all full time are 25 spline

The Auto trannies for 85 and 86 are 3.7 for turbo and non turbo. after 87 they were 3.9 for non turbo. also, since these trannies are non turbo they BOTH have the 23 spline axle. so thet meand BOTH CARS HAVE THE SAME AXLES

REAR axles are the SAME for ALL EA82 models, including the xt6, 23 splines

QUOTE]

As far as towing make sure the cars are in 2wd, 4wd not engaged. this will be ok. if it scares you a little you can take out the rear section of the driveshaft