Ultimate Subaru Message Board

got a 1997 OBS - what should i look for?

Picking up a 1997 OBS AWD Automatic today with 61,000 miles on it. I plan on addressing the timing belt immediately. Then shortly afterwards i'll replace ignition wires, plugs, air filter, fuel filter, trans filter and all fluids (trans, oil, brakes, diff...etc).

Any suggested replacement items or things to look for? It was recommended by a very respected subaru enthusiast to not touch the water pump or oil pump seals until the next timing belt change.

How about the crank and cam seals?

I've owned 6 XT6's (3 currently) so i'm very familiar with the older EA82 and ER27 motors. guess i'll be spending time in New and Old generation forums now....

thanks and have fun

Pull the rear hatch latch assy and paint the metal bar. They always rust.

If the crank and cam seals are good you could leave them for the next t-belt. Any signs of minor leaks and I'd change them.

Flush the trany fluid to get a complete change.

You probably don't have to worry about the water pump just yet.

The oil pump should be serviced though. Change the o-ring and tighten the screws on the backing plate.

I've gone thru 3 timing belt changes now on my 97 OB. I've had the crank and cam seals changed each time. I've never experienced an oil leak. I would do them as a preventative measure. It cost very little to have them changed when one is in there for the timing belt.

Start a fund "just in case" you get struck with the head gasket issue.

Regarding the latch plate - My suggestion would be to simply replace it. I wrote up how to do this. It costs about $15, if that.

Commuter

it has the 2.2 liter motor, those have less headgasket issues than the 2.5liter motors right? that's the impression i had.

thanks for the tips, i'll be doing all the services myself. i'll have the trans fluid flushed and i'll install an ATF cooler as well.

either way, as long as its an EJ22, then you will have better luck with not blowing a HG... the DOHC 2.5 '97 to '99 modles, were pretty bad from what I have seen and heard...

there was also a recall on 98-99 DOHC 2.5s and 00-02 SOHC 2.5s with the headgaskets leaking, which they made a chemical to add to the cooling system which almost always fixed the problem (yes, it even stops leaks! I have seen it work myself!)

the 97 OBS should be a very good reliable car! (i am actually in the market for one myself ;) )

it has the 2.2 liter motor, those have less headgasket issues than the 2.5liter motors right? that's the impression i had.

Outback "Sport". Sorry, missed that. You have little to worry about regarding head gaskets with that generation of 2.2L engine.

Commuter

these models also have wheel bearing problems to, i have seen many go on these cars, i work in a subaru dealership you will know when it goes you will here a groaning noise if you do take car of it right away, if you don't it can lead to further issues with the axle and so on, otherwise they are good little cars!!!!

what is the key to avoiding wheel bearing failure? repacking them? proper lug nut torque?

thanks.

well there really isn't they are just known and just go , we install legacy wheel bearings in them instead and that usually works. sometimes they are so bad they can chew up the axle then that means replacement of the axle to.