Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Door Ajar Light ('99 Forester)

I'm new here and have a problem with my Door Ajar Light. It seems to be staying on when my doors seem to be properly closed. It is a crap shoot as to whether it is going to close up properly. Do any other Forester owners have this problem? The problem seems to be worse when using the key vs. using the remote.

Check the back hatch. I had a problem a few times with something being caught in the hatch door. I also had a problem with the hatch light. The light would come on and then go out as I raised the door. This problem was resolved by shooting in some WD-40 up into the hatch lock area. It was all gummed up. Maybe this solution would cure your problem too.

~Howard

:slobber:

I'm new here and have a problem with my Door Ajar Light. It seems to be staying on when my doors seem to be properly closed. It is a crap shoot as to whether it is going to close up properly. Do any other Forester owners have this problem? The problem seems to be worse when using the key vs. using the remote.

If Howard's suggestion doesn't work: when the door ajar lamp stays on, walk around the outside of the vehicle and press in firmly on each door to see which one of them makes the light go off....perhaps the contact switch on that door has become corroded? Maybe the door striker on that door has to be adjusted for a slightly tighter fit? I had to adjust the tailgate striker on my '99 Legacy GT wagon for a slightly tighter fit to make the door ajar lamp stay off. The situation was more obvious on the Legacy however, because the display is graphic, so you can see which door is ajar.

I would suspect a dirty switch is causing this to happen. The drivers door would be most suspect if you don't have a visual display for the doors in the dash.

I have had to watch the rear hatch on my Outback. Sometimes it will be closed but the switch will not be set right and light the warning light on the dash. Drained the battery a couple of times this way.

I had this problem with an Impreza swaped switches from another Subaru and still had the problem finaly narrowed it down to the passanger side front door. began looking around and found that the wire that ran to the plunger switch(is there a better name for this?) had rubbed againse the metal body of the car and grounded out which is the way the lights for the car work.