Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Copper Canyon ... Outback Preps ... Head Gasket worries?

Hi Folks,

I'm sort of planning for an eventual (Summer/Fall?) trip to the Copper Canyon area, south of the border in Chihuahua. It sounds like an excellent trip that may mean some relatively tough backroad driving, and pretty far away from "civilization."

So I'm trying to figure out what sort of things I should have done to my 2000 Outback (68,000 miles) before heading down there.

Number 1 is get a full size "spare" tire with a real rim, get it shaved down to circumference if necessary, and then introduce it into my regular rotation pattern (a tip I got from reading this board). This doesn't sound like the sort of place to be roaming about on a donut.

Number 2 is pack a few extra belts, air filters, and especially fuel filters.

Number 3 is get the car completely inspected by a trusted mechanic... but I'm not sure what in particular to have looked at.

Now the real concern I have is with the "Head Gasket" issues the 2000 Outbacks are known for. Should I just bite the bullet and have the potentially-failing parts replaced ahead of time? Copper Canyon is not the place to have a complete melt down and I'm sure the language barrier would get in the way if I needed an AWD "flatbed-only" tow to the nearest town.

What parts usually fail with the head gasket issue... just the head gasket itself? How much (ballpark) would I expect to spend in order to have this sort of preventative maintenance done? Is that Subaru coolant additive enough of a fix?

Finally, anyone on this board ever take a trip down that way and could possibly share any tips?

Thanks for your help,

-Mike

The headgasket failure is an external leak on your vehicle, it is usually from the back of the driver's side head. It can be checked out by a mechanic before you leave. Usually there are some seepage, long before it starts to leak so I would not worry about it on your vehicle. Don't wait two days before your trip to take it in like some people (trust me I own a shop) just to find out you do have a major problem and have to borrow/rent a car.

I would have my 60k service done if it hasn't already or maybe your 75k service since it might be time. I would replace the spark plug wires as they have been starting to fail on the 2000-2002, because of age and mileage. That will be a good time to check for a internal oil leak at the spark plug seals (located in valve cover) would hate to have a oil fouled plug on your trip.

And of course safety items, flares, etc.

and get it before your trip. I used to do Mexico trips in an old Volvo 125 wagon.

Richie has covered most everything on service but any spares are hard to come by. I like your idea of fuel filters and belts, I also used to carry all the electrics I could. Run curtains in the rear in case you sleep in it. Water might just be a necessity, and a bit of gas if you are going way out there.Emergency food and camping supplies I am sure you have thought of, as well as survival gear.