Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

p0170 Bank 1 Fuel Trim Malfunction

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 state

state

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Sharpsburg

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:58 PM

I have been fighting this CEL for 2 months now. I have replaced both o2 sensors. No help. Here's the latest. I got some info from alldatapro.com that said for a p0170 on my 95 Legacy Wagon to first check exhaust for leaks. No problem found. Then the air intake for leaks. No problem found. Then fuel pressure. I don't have a gauge so I skipped that one for now. Now to what I did find. The engine coolant temp sensor. My Haynes book says to test the resistance across the terminals with the engine cold and then when hot. The readings I got were within the range listed. So far so good. Then I am to check the reference voltage to the sensor from the ECU. It should be 5 volts. It said to disconnect the connector to the sensor and with the ignition on and the engine not running I should see 5 volts. I get 145mv. I'm sure I was making good contact. Could this be my problem? There are only 2 contacts in the connector. Could my ECU not be sending the 5 volts or could I have a bad wire between them? Car doesn't run bad. CEL just keeps coming back.

#2 blitz

blitz

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,091 posts
  • Warren, Michigan

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:11 PM

Yes, verify the wiring integrity.

9 out of 10 diagnostic proceedures for each malfunction code involve essentially checking for proper continuity and/or improper short conditions of the associated wiring. :banghead:

The wiring and connectors on todays cars are woefully inadequadete. They degrade as a result of heat, chemical (salt, oil), and vibration. :banghead: :banghead:

#3 Johngenx

Johngenx

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • St. Albert, Alberta

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:31 PM

I'm not sure about Subaru systems, but a fuel trim malfunction indicates that the FI system cannot fully compensate for either a rich or lean condition. On many cars, they use O2 sensors post combustion and some sort of either airflow rate meter or air mass meter pre combustion.

How does the car in question determine the incoming air charge? That device would certainly be suspect. Does the OBD-II system on Subarus store adaptation values for fuel trim? If so, read the adaptation values to determine rich/lean condition and start digging from there.

#4 sea#3

sea#3

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:40 PM

You might want to have a look at your air flow meter. some times the "hot wire" in the air flow meter can get covered with oil residue and give a false signal to the ECM , which can give you a false trim code
You can try and clean it with isoproply alcohol , but be warned it doesn't take much to damage the wire and Air flow meters aren't cheep!!!

SEA#3

#5 Johngenx

Johngenx

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • St. Albert, Alberta

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:45 PM

Ah, so that car uses a hot-film sensor system for measuring incoming air charge. Yes, those little wires wear out over time, and with most makes, cleaning is a short term solution. What does a meter for a Subaru cost? The one for my Mercedes is not too bad at about $400. I have seen some makes at $1300.

#6 state

state

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Sharpsburg

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:06 AM

If there is someone out there with a similar car, could you measure across the engine coolant temp sensor connector with it unplugged and the key on but engine off and tell me if I should have 5 volts there?

#7 ron917

ron917

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:05 PM

Yes, verify the wiring integrity.
The wiring and connectors on todays cars are woefully inadequadete. They degrade as a result of heat, chemical (salt, oil), and vibration. :banghead: :banghead:

Yeah, what he said. Be glad you don't have a European car - Bosch connectors are the pits!

#8 state

state

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Sharpsburg

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:56 PM

Well I have ruled out the fuel pressure, coolant temp sensor, intake and exhaust leaks. Can anyone tell me how to test my MAF sensor? Maybe I'll get one from 1stsubaruparts.com. About $255.

#9 state

state

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Sharpsburg

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:59 AM

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!

It was the Mass Air Sensor. $255 from 1stsubaruparts.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users