Ultimate Subaru Message Board

choke conversion instructions for 87 sub?

Hi all,

I have an 87 subaru gl wagon, 4wd, AT, 1800 engine, 139k mi; carb in ok shape with some wear, but choke acting up. I'd like to convert it over to a manual choke (I used to have one on my old pickup that I LOVED). I've got a kit, and in theory it should be easy, but I'm a little nervous about how hard it's going to be to install in this thing (I'm intimidated by all of the gobbledygook on the carb). The choke's been adjusted (or attemped to adjust) so it's already been drilled open and all. I don't think it should be hard, but I would like to be sure of what I'm getting in to before I mess something up.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Dan

i put one on my 87 gl wagon a couple months ago.

the kit i got was an el cheapo cheesy one that had been tore open and retaped- could have been parts missing, who knows? it was the only kit available at the time. not many people use them anymore i guess...

i had previously removed all the emission stuff on my carb before that so that made it easier... less stuff in the way. not advocating that for you, but it did make more room.

to tell the truth- i cant really tell you how i did it- i was a little nervous at first, like you, but i just took parts off slowly, noting how everything worked, and came apart. i laid all the parts out on a bench... just fitted stuff together.

sorry i cant be more specific- but if i can do it- pretty much anyone can.

the thing i noticed was- there is not a lot of places to mount the cable in the car. i mounted mine on the drivers side of the shifter, kinda down where your knee would be, screwed into the plastic shifter housing. its held up so far.

someone else may chime in with more specific instructions.

if nothing else- a free bump!

just take your time

pop the elec choke off the carb. I think its two rivets and a screw. wrap a piece of bailing wire around it, run it into your cab, make a loop on the end.

no to use, push pedal in some, pull choke, start car. when you want the choke off, tap the gas pedal

thats the 15 minute 1 dollar way