Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacement Ignition Module?

Ross

I'm wanting to find a spare ignition module for the ea81t (the 4 terminal one, same as early ea82t). There is no listing for an aftermarket replacement, but i found a picture of one that looks exactly the same in a catalogue. This is listed as being for some kind of honda. just wonderign if anyone knows if this is the right one, or if there is one available?

For anyone that might be interested, I found a part number listed for the ea81t/ea82t ignition module. Its an AC Delco part# E1914C. The website i found it on had it priced at almost $600, so its more expensive than the one from subaru (at least there, ill find out what i can get it for from repco).

Find one in a junkyard, it is the best and most reasonably priced place to get parts for these cars - most things work or they don't.

If you are REALLY desperate, I think I have an early EA82T ignition module at home in working condition (got it by accident). I will say I don't know how difficult int'l shipping for it would be, but if it is feasible I could ship it to you. - it looks brand new, though some idiot cut the wires to it, so you would need to use your harness (the distribuitor body is different too).

Thanks for the offer, but i think ill go new if the module has to be replaced. I can get one from subaru for NZ$250, and can probably get the AC delco one for around NZ$100.

My reason for this is that if I get a 2nd hand one, there is a good chance ill have to replace it a few years down the track, and by then they will be even more expensive!

Cheers Anyway!

Is it that your car just doesnot start when you turn the key but you get power to everything cept the starter? Why not rig up a switch like i have done in my brumby? Find a wire that has 12v with keys turned on (test light is handy). Then put a wire going from here to you arcade style button on your dash then a wire from the switch to the small Conecter on the starter solenoid. This would cost all up about $5 and you still need the keys to start the car.

Is it that your car just doesnot start when you turn the key but you get power to everything cept the starter?
No, the engine starts just fine.

I think you are thinking of the ignition switch. The ignition module is inside the distributer, and is used to signal the ignition coil to fire at the correct time (like ignition points on older cars). It is called a module (instead of "pickup coil") because it has the ability to change the ignition timing slightly when signaled from the knock control unit.