Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The hard parts include: Getting the timing belt cover off, because the screws often fuse together with the nuts and these spin inside the plastic.

Removing the crankshaft pulley - you need a tool designed to hold it still while you loosen the nut.

The actual seal itself is fairly easy to pull out. Use a spring hook or a thin flatblade screwdriver. Just be careful not to scratch the crankshaft, as that will cause it to wear out the new seal very fast.

If you are sripping all this, may as well replace the CAM seals as well. Their leaks are generally more in the corners of the timing belt cover, but are somewhat common.

As stated, be REALLY careful not the scratch the inner walls when you pull the seals! This is critical.

-Heikki

I've noticed an oil leak coming from under the timing belt cover, where a rubber gasket is, pretty much right under the crankshaft pulley. Is this most likely my crankshaft oil seal leaking? Is this hard to fix myself if it is?[/QU

OTE]

no is not get ur self a haynes book on ur car then work on it

I've noticed an oil leak coming from under the timing belt cover, where a rubber gasket is, pretty much right under the crankshaft pulley. Is this most likely my crankshaft oil seal leaking? Is this hard to fix myself if it is?[/QU

OTE]

no is not get ur self a haynes book on ur car then work on it

Thanks for the hilly billy reply! I have a Haynes manual I just wanted to know some things about it before I go tearing into it. I like to be informed, about what I do before I do it.

Kamakazi crank bolt removal made simple

Place socket on breaker bar with a pipe extension.

Place end of pipe on ground to the RIGHT of a center line

drawn to the ground from the crankshaft center

Disable ignition (pull spark plug wires)

Bump starter.

Serves one,

batteries not included,

do not teach your

siblings this trick