Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A few questions.

First. I have a 89 Brumby/Brat with 2" lift with torsion bar rear suspension. I found that there is a nut for adjusting the rear torsion bar tension. I managed to get the bolt to go round about twice (lifted the car up 7mm on the rear) Then it went tight but theres plenty more thread left on the bolt. How far can this bolt raise the rear of the car? Theres about 13mm to 16mm left of thread on the bolt sticking out the top of that cover thing in the middle of the car.

Second. Is there anywhere under the hood of an EA81 subie that can supply 5 to 7 volts. I want to set up an on board bumper camera, but the one i have needs like 6volts. Do i need to just get a regulator, or is there somewhere with this voltage?

Third. The left rocker cover is making a ticking noise. I think its the tappets. Can i fix this while the engine is in the car?

Fourth. When I put the engine back in after changing the thrust bearing I got a water pipe leak on the bottom of the radiator. I didn't think it was leaking much, but it on a short trip down to the shops and back the temp got a little higher then I would like, almost at the red :-\. Then about 10senconds before i stoped in my drive way a rattle started, but only under power. (It doesn't do it now) I found that the radiator had almost emptied!! and I was running on like a litter of coolant!! Will the engine be fine? What might of happened? Did I just shorten its life by a few KM's? I feel really bad, I'm gonna fix probs when I find them in future.

Thanks for any help.

You will need a regulator for the 6 volts required for the camera. Don't try to plug it in without it or you may ruin your camera. There are ways to make a cheap one using a zener diode and some resistors. You may be able find a unit designed for automobiles to fit your camera. They aren't too expensive.

Hopefully you haven't hurt the engine with the low coolant situation. I would not drive it again until this is fixed.