Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 turbo wagon will not rev intermittant

Hey,

So this is the problem

Driveing down a dirt road testing out the lsd when the car all the sudden decides that it doesn't want to rev above 1400 rpm. It just bogs down. Temp is good, oil is good, t-belts are good, throttle plate is opening. Only way to fix it is to turn the car off and restart it. Then it runs fine for about 50 feet then wont rev anymore, repeat "turn off turn on" car is fine. I tried this same thing with the door locks and it also cured the problem, ie doors unlocked car running crappy, locked the doors while running problem went away, but I was unable to reproduce this metode. As soon as I got on pavment the problem only occured once and was quickly fixed.

Another oddity is if I hold down the throttle the turbo light will come on at the metioned 1400 rpm. I don't have a boost gauge or A/F meter on it so I am not sure what the levels are there. The car doesn't seem to be running rich, no smoke out the back from what I can see.

Also I have been having troble with my dash parking brake light, and temp gauge, the parking brake light blicks out a mystiriously undiciferable morus code or it just decides that it is going to be on solid, totally random. My temp gauge only works if ambiant air temp is under 80 deg F, I know how to fix both of these but haven't had the time to break out the soldering iron, just thought this might have something to do with it.

So my #1 question is what type of situation would cause the car to not rev?

Sorry for the long post. hope someone can point me in the right direction, I am leaning towards somthing in the dash?

Thanks a bunch,

Btw the new board is so much better than the old one, the search function is Awsome.

I had a similar rev problem with my 88 turbowagon when I first got it.. Turned out to be the main wiring harness connectors( those two big plugs by the battery) weren't sealed well and had gotten all boogered up inside..

EDIT: Tell me more about your home made turbo timer, please

Maybe you have a bad connection, and the gravel road is jiggling it aroudn and making it run crappy. Doesn't explain the boost deal though... I was going to sugges your MAF, but then I remembered that the turbos don't have a hot-wire MAF, although that COULD be the problem...

Andrew, all Subaru turbos of our vintage have a Mass Air Flow sensors i.e. MAFs

Up through 86 they were flapper door, a.k.a. vane, style MAF's

Then in 87 the turbo models got a hot wire MAF. (This by the way answers your other post also)

As for the original question now that I am done stepping on it

Subi, have you changed the fuel filter lately. It could be a partial plug or limited flow. I might suggest a fuel pressure check to verify fuel pump pressure also.

First check the intake plenum to manifold hose clamps (there are two on the short section of rubber hose between the intake plenum (AL part that has "Subaru Turbo" on it) and the intake manifold below. Make sure you can NOT lift the intake plenum by hand.

It may look tight but "blow apart" under boost. Settling back down when you take your foot out of it.