Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Do it yourself? - Oxygen Sensor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bulsi

bulsi

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • California

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:16 PM

How difficult is it to replace Oxygen Sensors yourself? Is it a simple part replacement... are they tough to get to? Is it easy to pull the Y pipe to get to the front one?
Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.

Taylor ('98 OB)

#2 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,417 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:29 PM

The only O2 sensor I ever replaced was on my friend's 92 Cherokee. That took all of 10 minutes. You'll need a O2 sensor removal tool, which is basically a 5/8 (that right?:eh: ) socket with about a third cut out so you don't damage the pigtail. Do it when the exhaust is cold. If it's hot, it will not only increase the risk of getting burned, but the expanded metal will make loosening it harder.

I understand your concern for the Y-pipe on Subarus, however, I would think if you drove the car up on ramps that it wouldn't be too hard.

#3 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:41 PM

I had mine changed just recently at the dealer and was surprised to see an hours time charged! I don't know what is truly involved and I'm pretty much past doing that sort of thing myself. The threads looked pretty torn up on the old sensor. These things can just about weld themselves in over time with the thermal cycling, exhaust gases, etc. It's a bit of a crap shoot as to whether you will have problems getting the old one out or not.

It has made a difference on my 97OB. My milage had slipped a little (say 3 to 5%) and that has come back. As well, the carbon build up issue (just posted in the other thread) was being aggrivated by a drifting (failing) O2 in my opinion. I never had a CEL though. I only changed the front O2.

Commuter

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 26 August 2003 - 09:14 PM

The dealer charged you an hour because, in my experience anything that involves turning a wrench incurs a minimum 1 hour labor charge.

#5 97subaruGT

97subaruGT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Staten Island, NY

Posted 27 August 2003 - 07:56 AM

I replace mine on a 97 Legacy.
Took me around an hour because the bolts on the shield on the exhaust pipe were rusted and welded to the shield because of the heat. I had to cut them off to remove the heat shield. I replaced the front O2 sensor. It seems that the rear sensor should not take more than 1/2 hour.
Once that was off, it took me around 20 mins to uncrew the O2 sensor, put another one in and put everything back together.
So far, no CEL! :headbang:

#6 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 27 August 2003 - 08:56 AM

Replaced mine on a 96 (2.2L).
Measure the new one to find a suitable open wrench . I dont remember the exact size.
Just bend over the right fender and go at it. No need to go under, put the car on ramps on remove the heat shield. It's just under the right side inner cv boot. It took me 5 min to remove it, 10 to splice in the new pigtail (i bought a cheaper universal one) and 5 more to screw the new one in.
I usually take more time than most people here to do a particular job. So it must be very easy.
Good luck!

#7 incognito

incognito

Banned

• Banned
  • 441 posts
  • Eagle River

Posted 27 August 2003 - 10:54 AM

No doubt, o2 sensor is easier than changin plugs on a 2.5 .

#8 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 27 August 2003 - 03:03 PM

And put a little anti-seize grease on the threads for next time.

#9 incognito

incognito

Banned

• Banned
  • 441 posts
  • Eagle River

Posted 27 August 2003 - 04:03 PM

locktite has some really good anti-seize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users