Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine-tranny swap questions (justy)

I just picked up a doner 90 carburated justy with a 5-speed so I could swap out the ECVT in my 91 MPFI with the 5-speed. Turns out the engine in the 1990 is in much better shape than the one in my 1991. So I'd like to just swap out the engine's and tranny's because my 1991's body is in better conditon. I'd like to keep the carb/engine/5-speed from the 90 in one unit, and the MPFI/engine/ECVT from the 91 in one unit.

Questions are:

1. Is it going to save me work to do it this way, or make more?

2. What do I need to do with the computer in the 91 reguarding the change from a auto to a 5-speed and the MPFI to carb?

3. What kind of man hours can I expect with One experenced person to guide and one person who know's how to use tools to do it?

4. Any well earned experence anybody can pass on reguarding this task?

Thanks.

yes, justy's were made in the 90's

carb systems on subarus are not good, whatever you do, stick with MPFI

that said, you would be in emissions trouble if you reverted to carb.

ECVT bad - 5 speed good

ideal combination - 5 speed with MPFI

you should be able to do the switch, you will just need the FSM (factory service manual) for the year car of your FI system

2. What do I need to do with the computer in the 91 reguarding the change from a auto to a 5-speed and the MPFI to carb?

3. What kind of man hours can I expect with One experenced person to guide and one person who know's how to use tools to do it?

Probably the engine internals are sufficiently the same between carb and FI motors. I would recommend either (1) install the whole carbed long block, but use the MPFI equipment and pitch the carb stuff: or (2) if the carbed head is not compatible with the MPFI intake manifold, then use the MPFI head on the carbed short block.

Man-hours should be one day at most for the two of you. Line up all parts beforehand (like head gasket if swapping heads), and do whatever you can by yourself before your friend gets there to speed things up: drain oil and coolant, disconnect battery, lots of little stuff you can take off beforehand. The night before, spray PB Blaster on all bolts you will be loosening. When you reassemble, use anti-seize paste on the threads.

Keep spare motor, or at least the head if it's compatible, for spare parts or rebuilding.

Probably the engine internals are sufficiently the same between carb and FI motors. I would recommend either (1) install the whole carbed long block, but use the MPFI equipment and pitch the carb stuff: or (2) if the carbed head is not compatible with the MPFI intake manifold, then use the MPFI head on the carbed short block.

Man-hours should be one day at most for the two of you. Line up all parts beforehand (like head gasket if swapping heads), and do whatever you can by yourself before your friend gets there to speed things up: drain oil and coolant, disconnect battery, lots of little stuff you can take off beforehand. The night before, spray PB Blaster on all bolts you will be loosening. When you reassemble, use anti-seize paste on the threads.

Keep spare motor, or at least the head if it's compatible, for spare parts or rebuilding.

Thank you. Is there anything special I need to do with the computer, or do I just apply the standard modifications to the 91 ECVT computer for the 5-speed?