Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89-94 EA82 questions

Are there any big differences between an 88 GL and the 89-94 loyale? I have the great How to Keep your Subaru Alive, but am heasitant of moving beyond the 88s. I know in 88, they moved to the LED distirbutor. I am assuming that the distributors are the same from 88-94. Any other sophisticated changes...emissions, etc... . I would love to use the repair book assuming that the 88GL is like the 89-94 models. Advice?

They are all pretty much the same. There are some body differences (wagon's rear-side windows, the tailgate window and its mounting), but mechanically and electrically they are the same. The Loyales, from what I have read and figured out, were "entry-level" Subarus after the Legacy line was introduced. As such, they have little standard equipment and weren't usually optioned well ("might as well buy a Legacy").

I have both (now, all three!), and haven't found a major difference yet. (The clock connectors are different, but that is it so far.)

Fear not!

ok htere are 85-86 that are the same. carbs the same and some 86 were spfi, but the 86 spfi(intake) is 86 exclusive(the connectors, not the components).

then there is 87. 87 is transitional as some were spfi and some carb. the carbg models are more refined under the hood, and the spfi are like the 88. thye electricals in the car will be more like the 85-86 as far as connectors go, and the body will be more like the 88

i have an 88 sedan, who's original motor was swapped into a 91 loyale, and it runs the same, connects the same. i have a different motor, the block is from an 86, and the intake is from the 91 loyale, connects and runs the same

Mechanically, there were no significant changes. I poured over the SPFI electrical schematics and fuel system diagrams when I was doing the conversion, and although the 1990's cars were listed separately, the differences were things like having automatic shoulder belts.