Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just saw an ad for 15,000 mile oil

yes

no filter can get everything - most of the most harmful contaminates can pass through ALL available filters because they are physically similar to oil, just chemically different - mainly blowby gasses and acids that come from reactions between the oil and blowby gasses

I do mine every 3000 myself - it's a subaru, it's easy AND cheap

more 'stuff' means less actual oil...

not necessarily as the oil itself is what does the trapping - the "stuff" added is just added to change its viscosity range, hence why I don't like 10w-40 - too much stuff added. Realize that the more "stuff" trapped in the oil means the less protection the oil is really giving your engine as it is carring all of that "stuff" over, through, and around the bearings and everything else

it's just bad karma ;)

cheap oil at regular intervals I believe is always better than fancy oil at long intervals for the reasons stated above.

Oil is Oil is Oil. It is all the same carbon based goo dead dinasours gave us, regardless of the label or additives.

not if its PAO based stock instead of hydrocracked. imo i would change the oil filters at 3k miles and leave the oil alone.

cheap oil at regular intervals I believe is always better than fancy oil at long intervals for the reasons stated above.

Oil is Oil is Oil. It is all the same carbon based goo dead dinasours gave us, regardless of the label or additives.

Yes and no, cheap (Quaker State) oil has had a tendency to build up wax in bad places and spin bearings, and also gell in a bad way. This was mainly due to refining issues - I still don't use Quaker State because I have seen it do some VERY weird stuff if it sits too long in the bottle - even sealed and unopened.

Moderately priced (Castrol/Mobil - not 1) at regular intervals is best. I generally consier anything over $2.50 a quart to be excessive - I usually run Castrol Synthetic Blend b/c I have found it to work really well, and it is reasonably priced.

Regular oil changes are always cheaper than an ocasional engine rebuild.