Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just saw an ad for 15,000 mile oil

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alex C

Alex C

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Ashland

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:31 PM

Why? I mean I can see the point, but doesnt that mean all the contaminents stay in your system for that long?

Alex

#2 85Sub4WD

85Sub4WD

EA82 Junkie

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
  • Raleigh NC/Charlotte NC

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:10 PM

yes

no filter can get everything - most of the most harmful contaminates can pass through ALL available filters because they are physically similar to oil, just chemically different - mainly blowby gasses and acids that come from reactions between the oil and blowby gasses

I do mine every 3000 myself - it's a subaru, it's easy AND cheap

#3 swervey87gl

swervey87gl

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Mill Creek

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:42 PM

Pretty much all oil that is made is literaly rated for that long. Because of the contaminates the oil needs to be changed. There is no way to predict how oil will last with different so many different filters. All it is is just a sales pitch.

#4 maximumBRAT

maximumBRAT

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • Berthoud

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:02 AM

Good question..

#5 hooziewhatsit

hooziewhatsit

I fix old cars

• Members
  • 1,333 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:33 AM

I just saw the same ad for Mobile oil.

The oil probably just has more of the 'stuff' that traps contaminates, so it can theoretically go longer before changes. However, more 'stuff' means less actual oil...

#6 85Sub4WD

85Sub4WD

EA82 Junkie

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:43 AM

more 'stuff' means less actual oil...

not necessarily as the oil itself is what does the trapping - the "stuff" added is just added to change its viscosity range, hence why I don't like 10w-40 - too much stuff added. Realize that the more "stuff" trapped in the oil means the less protection the oil is really giving your engine as it is carring all of that "stuff" over, through, and around the bearings and everything else

it's just bad karma ;)

#7 Syrinx

Syrinx

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • St. Louis, MO

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:30 AM

cheap oil at regular intervals I believe is always better than fancy oil at long intervals for the reasons stated above.

Oil is Oil is Oil. It is all the same carbon based goo dead dinasours gave us, regardless of the label or additives.

#8 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:20 AM

cheap oil at regular intervals I believe is always better than fancy oil at long intervals for the reasons stated above.

Oil is Oil is Oil. It is all the same carbon based goo dead dinasours gave us, regardless of the label or additives.

not if its PAO based stock instead of hydrocracked. imo i would change the oil filters at 3k miles and leave the oil alone.

#9 85Sub4WD

85Sub4WD

EA82 Junkie

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:31 AM

Yes and no, cheap (Quaker State) oil has had a tendency to build up wax in bad places and spin bearings, and also gell in a bad way. This was mainly due to refining issues - I still don't use Quaker State because I have seen it do some VERY weird stuff if it sits too long in the bottle - even sealed and unopened.

Moderately priced (Castrol/Mobil - not 1) at regular intervals is best. I generally consier anything over $2.50 a quart to be excessive - I usually run Castrol Synthetic Blend b/c I have found it to work really well, and it is reasonably priced.

Regular oil changes are always cheaper than an ocasional engine rebuild.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users