Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, I do not own a Subaru as my screenname shows but my friends 1990 Subaru Legacy 2WD is in trouble. He told me when he put it in gear he heard a loud CLUNK and it would not move but the speedo would go up. I am not too familiar with Subarus so I found this and am turning to you guys for assistance. Thanx for all your help!

Yep, I would say check the axel also. Before I bought my subie, my old sentra had the same problem. I would put it in drive, and only here clunking. Initially I thought is was a tranny problem, and since my car was an old piece of crap, I decided to sell it for $100 instead of fix the tranny. It turned out to be a broxen axel, but too late, I already sold it. Anyways, can't complain, love my subie but the wallet's hurting!

i was under the impression that the speedo was driven off one of the other more internal shafts of the tranny if not the pinion it self...

but it is possilbe i am just confused..

if i am not then would it not suggest at least a bunch of teeth have decided to relocate from either the ring gear or the pinion gear

but he did say clunk and not crunch/grind type noise

so i will go on the assumption i am confused and tired :)