Ultimate Subaru Message Board

valve cover gaskets- oem vs Felpro

I bought a valve cover gasket kit for my 92 Legacy EJ22 from Advance Auto ($24.00) and it's the exact same as the one from the Dealer. The bolt grommets are identical as well. Upon further inspection of the Felpro box, it states the gaskets are made in Japan.

I thought I would pass this along --- save yourself some money from Dealer markups.

On an engine where you're pushing the limits, I'd go with the OEM ones. The OEM ones have to fit, and aren't supposed to be just close enough. I've had mixed experiences with felpro gaskets in the past. Had a ford 361 misteriously self destruct after running perfect for 2 days after a reseal. How much more do the OEM ones cost?

I'm concerned about the Felpro name. I know they've had a reputation as good gaskets, but they were recently acquired (along with Champion, Anco, Wagner, and a few others) by Federal-Mogul, who are bankrupt. One can hope they aren't desperate enough to reduce production costs at the expense of quality.